Thread: How long does a baclofen pump catheter last?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How long does a baclofen pump catheter last?

I am still sitting here after four hours trying to straight cath. My groin is so tight and just stays that way. The tension is also in my back and pulls my core to the left. I have taken my legs and straddled them on the outside of my wheelchair to try and see if that helps, but it just stays tight. This will happen sometimes of my bladder gets to full, but this is different.

In the past two months, my back has been spasming too. This occurs when I get my left leg dried. Touching the skin on my leg seems to set off a spasm in my back.

Before I had a baclofen pump put in, I remember that my leg would jerk if you touched it.

I'm wondering how long baclofen pump catheters last?? It's probably been more than 15 years since mine has been changed, and I'm wondering if that's what's causing all this.

I'll be calling my doctor about a dye test, just wondered if anyone has gone through any of these experiences.

I had similar spasms. They were always on edge and the slightest stimulus would make them go haywire. Of course, you can expect some spasms just from the SCI. But for me, the culprit was kidney stones. I had kidney stones undetected for years. Caused me a lot of grief in my personal life and even more in my career. Kind of upset at my doctor for not finding them sooner. But it's done now. They don't show up on ultrasounds. You have to get a ct scan. Once my kidney stones were removed, the level of spasms that you describe went away. I still have spasms. But not like that anymore.

The baclofen pump catheter should last longer than you. But they probably replace it every time they replace the pump (5-7 years).
    Last edited by August West; 05-05-2019 at 12:18 AM.

The pump has to be changed about every 7 years- MAX- due to battery life.
    The provider who refills it can see if is still working by giving you a bolus.
    If working, you might just need an increase.
    The tubing to your spine needs to be replaced only when there is an issue.

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If kidney stones are the reason for the spasms, you can turn up the pump until you're in a coma and you'll still get spasms. Before getting the stones removed, my baclofen dose was at 500 ug/day and I still got severe spasms. The pump did help in the sense that I got fewer spasms. But when they came on, they were violent as if I had no baclofen. After getting the stones removed, my dose is at 90 ug/day without severe spasms.

I would definitely suggest that you see a urologist to see if there is anything going on in the kidneys/bladder. Stones, reflux, infection can all cause what you are describing. So can bowel program issues and skin issues. I don't know of many people who had the catheter to the pump replaced. The pump itself - yes. I would also get that checked out- but if I were a betting man, I think that it could be one of the other things triggering the severe spasms.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.