Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary outdoor shower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Temporary outdoor shower

I am going to have to do without my shower for awhile while the bathroom is renovated due to a leaking roll in shower into the basement below. I was thinking about showering on my deck using an indoor plant watering hose that is long enough, hooked up to my kitchen sink so I can have hot water.

Has anybody used one of these and if so, which one?

With the weather getting warmer this may be doable. I'll use a tarp block off the area which already has a fence on it, but which is lattice and can be seen through slightly.

How about a portable solar camp shower?
    https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Outd...46785501&psc=1

A little more sophisticated and expensive:
    https://www.gardeners.com/buy/italia...SABEgK1QPD_BwE

Or something with a little privacy:
    https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Inst...35429053&psc=1

You need an adaptor to run a garden hose to your sink faucet. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Danco-GARDE...ss!08515!US!-1

That hose connection is also referred to as boiler drain.

Extreme makerover

My 1988 roll-in-shower shower floor which was made of poured cement cracked in 2006 leaking into the basement. If I was going to sell the house it would never sell with a cracked shower floor.

As a designer using CAD and serving on the Lorain Advocacy Board for Person with Disabilities for 15 years we used the ADAAG manual when complains came in. In the ADAAG manual it gives all the dimensions for a bathroom, shower room, sink height, shower controls, soap dish height, grab bars height, etc. Residential homes do not need to comply with the ADA but government housing must. I followed these guideline to design a shower room with in floor trench drain.

I had a dream team of three men who did a perfect job! Everything was exact to the prints.

I had the same issues of needing another make shift shower to use. The crew first removed the Moen shower control and then mounting it to my stationary tub in the basement with a plastic enclosure for the water to stay inside the plastic. A floor drain was a foot away. It worked out great and I kept it install to clean parts with. I had a hand held wand but change it out to a bidet tip for cleaning parts.

Attached is a photo of the bathroom measurement from the ADAAG manual. Before and after photos of room.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I too was thinking about the faucet to garden hose adapter. That way the stream of water would be better but one would need to be careful as to not blast the hose.

My wall grouting appeared to be in good shape. However on closer examination, a grouting guy showed me just how many very small holes there were in the grout lines. He strongly felt that all three walls should be regrouted first and this would remedy the problem. Perhaps, though it's a minor investment to rule it out. Insurance company wants to see that done first (at my expense) before they will consider compensation for a claim that would involve a major tear down, though there was indication that it would quite possibly be covered.

And hopefully the wood in the basement is in compromised. May need to be scrubbed down by a remediation company as it has some black areas that are wet.

I will keep you folks posted as to whether that was the source.

Sorry, but grout isn't intended to hold water back. If the shower pan is leaking then it's probably the weep holes on the drain are plugged, or the pan was incorrectly installed. You can try redoing the grout with epoxy grout, which many or may not work.

fyi when I moved here no rolling shower we rolled out on back deck backward to the bay 3 gallong of water soaped and rinsed washed hair no biggey till it my shower got done we did this for about 6 months

you can get clox water and spray on black areas

In trying to figure out how I want my shower repaired there are options other than tile such as premade 5x5 fiberglass pan units, along with walls if one desires that would eliminate the possibility of grouting ever leaking.

Has anybody used these and does it seem a bit option?

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    In trying to figure out how I want my shower repaired there are options other than tile such as premade 5x5 fiberglass pan units, along with walls if one desires that would eliminate the possibility of grouting ever leaking.

Has anybody used these and does it seem a bit option?
    As long as the shower pan and walls are prepared properly and the grout is intact and sealed (not missing or loose) leaking should not be an issue.

From a resale point of view, ceramic or granite tiles are probably more desirable than fiberglass pans and walls.

Grout was never intended to seal out water on any tile job. You might get lucky using epoxy grout, but good luck finding a tile installer to want to use it. For everything you'll ever want to know on this subject go to the john bridge tile site/forums. If you're counting on the grout, or caulk, to prevent water migration under the tile you're going to be eventually tearing it all out. Cementitious grout (what most installers use) is permeable.