Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of glue do you use for the Surge strip?

What type of glue do you use for the Surge strip?

The Surge strip is unglued from the handrim in a small section. Super glue may not let me remove the strip if it needs replacing. Silicone glue will let me remove the strip but may not be strong enough. What glue is the best for this?

Silicone is nice because if it doesn't work, you can remove it and have a second chance.

3M spray on contact cement would be a pretty strong candidate for me. I know they have two types available so be clear the one you choose works with rubbers.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Same problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    The Surge strip is unglued from the handrim in a small section. Super glue may not let me remove the strip if it needs replacing. Silicone glue will let me remove the strip but may not be strong enough. What glue is the best for this?
    Out-Front will not sell you replacement rubber inserts for the Surge hand rims. It even states that on their web site. They want you to buy another set of hand rims at $350.00 plus $100.00 install. The customer representative I spoke to told me to use super glue. Silicone rubber will not hold the rubber insert to the rim. It will peal right off after it dries and you start using them.

Super glue is what I've been using when my rubber strip peals off.

I am in the process of getting a new TiLite ZR. It will have CarboLife Gekko hand rims. These inserts are replaceable. The hell with Out-Front Surge hand rims. I learned the first time around.

https://carbolife.de/en/products/han...im-gekko?c=106

See attached photo.

Here is my first post about Out-Front Surge hand rims.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ighlight=surge

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I've used 3M weatherstrip adhesive. You can get it at any auto parts store. Worked good and hasn't came off the last three years.

It may be overkill, but what about an epoxy like JB weld, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    It may be overkill, but what about an epoxy like JB weld, etc.?
    i tried that second after super glue. Neither of those worked well.

Out Front Surge Hand rims - Buyer beware!

This was my first post about Out-Front Surge LT hand rims.

Yesterday (05.01.2019) I had to super glue another section of rubber strip that pealed off. Today a 1" section has pealed off.

I have a set of Out Front Surge LT hand rims on my TiLite ZRA. They are 4.5 years old and yesterday (08.23.2018) the rubber insert pulled off. I telephoned Out Front and talked with a customer service representative and he indicated that this does happen after about 3 to 5 years old. I asked him for a replacement set of inserts and he told me they don't give them out or sell them because the rubber inserts are thermically glued on the hand rim.

The rubber strip is concave on top and V shaped on the bottom. I am not sure if the V shaped bottom was for more surface area to be covered with adhesive to make a stronger bond? I don't know?

He said to fix it there are two types of glues that they recommend for securing the grip strip are below:

(Super glues)

1) Cemedine Super-X No. 8008 glue

2) Vittoria Mastik One Professional

Since my rubber strip stretched I had to cut the strip in half and cut about 1/8" off one end so the rubber strip laid flat on the rim. You have to clean off the old adhesive first before you put the new super glue on. Luckily I had a small plastic bottle of super glue in my desk drawer that worked. I put a piece of tape over the joint to hold it in place for time being. So far everything is working out well. Time will tell.

My old 'chair had a pair of Dual Grip Hand Rims which had the same problem of the rubber insert pealing off but you were able to purchase replacement strips. Dual Grip Hand Rims were round though with a rectangular groove in them to fit the rubber strip. The rubber strip was rectangular in shape. This was a constant problem with Dual Grip Hand Rims and they end up going out of business.

See attached photo.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Super glue probably works for the manufacturer because the strip shape will match the groove shape when new. But if the strip is old and worn the two shapes won't match and you need a filler, especially along the edges. Gorilla Glue epoxy filled the seam well and is holding for the last 24 hours. There is still a 1" void along the seam on one side that I have to fill. While I'm at it, I think I'll run some epoxy along the entire seam on both sides as a precautionary measure. Now that I think of it, the strip seems to have more give now than before. Gluing the edges with filler glue is probably a good item to put on the scheduled maintenance list.

Now that I've seen what it looks like under the strip, I have to say I am not impressed with the design. It should be like an iceberg, where there is more under the surface than above. But it's the other way. There is very little of the strip embedded into the handrim and most of it is sticking up. It's just begging to be sheared off.

Now that I know this, I should probably avoid lifting myself by the handrim. Because as I lift, my hand rolls laterally outward along the strip which is probably the reason why it became unglued. That plus the hand rolling laterally while pushing. This strip wasn't designed for that much shear force.

Epoxy held for about 3 weeks. Then it gave out. Going to try superglue.