Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of glue do you use for the Surge strip?

Polyurethane adhesives are pretty tenacious. PL Premium is as well. All can be bought at the big box stores and are inexpensive. Be warned that they can be messy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by jscrog View Post
    I've used 3M weatherstrip adhesive. You can get it at any auto parts store. Worked good and hasn't came off the last three years.
    That sounds appropriate. Because weather strip and the surge are similar materials.

Epoxy lasted 3 weeks. Superglue didn't last 3 days.

Titanium4motion's and my strip both arced when they lifted. The length of strip that loosened was longer than the length of bare rim. When I pused the strip down, there was still some slack that arced up. The root cause of the problem seems to be that strip length is about 1/2" longer than the handrim circumference. They probably add this extra 1/2" to make it easier to get the glue in between the rim and the strip. The last bit of strip has some slack that is pressed into place as the glue dries. Even though that slack can be held in place as the glue dries, it is doesn't bond as well and is the weak spot that gives out. Otherwise, why would both Titanuim4motion's and my strip both arc up?

I cut out about 1/2" from the surge strip and filled the small gap (about 1/16") with epoxy. Not the prettiest thing. But at least it lays flat instead of arcing so the epoxy has a better chance of making a permanent bond. Let's see.

Small tubes of Loctite Super Glue Gel 0.11oz size

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Epoxy lasted 3 weeks. Superglue didn't last 3 days.

Titanium4motion's and my strip both arced when they lifted. The length of strip that loosened was longer than the length of bare rim. When I pused the strip down, there was still some slack that arced up. The root cause of the problem seems to be that strip length is about 1/2" longer than the handrim circumference. They probably add this extra 1/2" to make it easier to get the glue in between the rim and the strip. The last bit of strip has some slack that is pressed into place as the glue dries. Even though that slack can be held in place as the glue dries, it is doesn't bond as well and is the weak spot that gives out. Otherwise, why would both Titanuim4motion's and my strip both arc up?

I cut out about 1/2" from the surge strip and filled the small gap (about 1/16") with epoxy. Not the prettiest thing. But at least it lays flat instead of arcing so the epoxy has a better chance of making a permanent bond. Let's see.
    The arcing is you stretched the rubber insert. You did what I did. You have to cut the arc in the center and over lap them. Make a mark and cut the excess off and now use a small tubes of Loctite Super Glue Gel 0.11oz size and glue them down and push the two pieces together to get a tight seam.

It is a shame that Out-Front will not sell replacement inserts. You have to buy a new set of hand rims. Report this to the FDA.

Attached is the super that hold my insert down. This has happened already six times so keep some super stocked up for the future. Buy the small tubes. Large tubes tend to harden.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

How could I stretch it?

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    How could I stretch it?
    That is a rubber insert. When you pressed on it and pulled it off the the rim you stretched it. That rubber insert is like a large rubber band glued to the rim. You can stretch a regular rubber band out of true size just like the insert.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I lifted the strip up so that I could clean the strip and rim with some rubbing alcohol before applying the glue. When I did this, there was almost no resistance. It just peeled off easily. The force required to stretch the strip 1/2" would be far greater. In other words, I would have pulled the strip off the rim before I could stretch it that much.

Whatever the cause, it's clear that you have to cut out some of the strip so that it can lay flat before you glue it down.

And my hunch is that it's best to make the splice 45* diagonal.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

That was an afterthought. Oh well.