Thread: Lingering UTI

Lingering UTI

I am a C 5/6 quad for 37+ years and for all of those years I have used a condom catheter and leg bag. Recently, I have experienced lingering UTI and urologist wants me to cath at least twice a day. My caregiver can help but I would like some advice on best catheters and how quads can self cath.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981quad View Post
    I am a C 5/6 quad for 37+ years and for all of those years I have used a condom catheter and leg bag. Recently, I have experienced lingering UTI and urologist wants me to cath at least twice a day. My caregiver can help but I would like some advice on best catheters and how quads can self cath.
    Thanks.
    Some C5/6 quad can self cath, some can't. I am C6/7 complete and never was capable of cathing, so my wife, NL, used to do this for me. Now, I have a supra pubic catheter and cathing is unnecessary.

Your urologist probably wants you to cath at least twice a day, because he thinks you are retaining too much urine and not emptying you bladder completely. When your bladder isn't completely empty, the retained urine is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria which causes frequent and recurring urinary tract infections. Have you urodynamic studies done recently. Anyone using a condom catheter should have these studies performed every year or two. You need to be aware of bladder pressures. High bladder pressures can force urine back up into the kidneys, which can cause kidney damage and infections.

Back in the day, 37 years ago (I was injured just about that long ago too), rehab hospitals routinely had patients use condom catheterization to manage their bladder. I had none for about 17 years. Today, it is a rarity to find a person with a new spinal cord injury using a condom catheter. Intermittent catheterization 4-6 times a day is the standard of care now.

You will have to remove the condom catheter each time you need to do an intermittent cath. Each time you remove a condom catheter to intermittent cath, you will need to apply a new condom catheter. That can get expensive and really hard on the penis shaft skin. Then you will need to use a new catheter every time you intermittent cath. Many insurance companies will not pay for both types of bladder management. Not to mention the time it will take to remove a condom cath, clean the leg bag, intermittent cath, apply a new condom cath, attach the clean leg bag and repeat that several times a day. Whether you are capable of doing all of this yourself or you need a caregiver to help, managing you bladder with a combination of condom and intermittent catheterization is going to be difficult and time consuming to manage.

Get urodynamic studies. Talk to your urologist about the possibility of managing your bladder with a supra pubic catheter. I have a supra pubic. I resisted going with a supra pubic for many years, but the supra pubic catheter is one of the best decisions I have made.

Did he bladder scan your post void residual? Urodynamics?
    I would see what that shows first if available.
    Very difficult for to do a sterile or semi sterile cath and since UTI's are the issue I would have caregiver do it when can and keep a record of the residual.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.