Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musings from a neurogenic bowel

I want to thank everyone who commented. This is very depressing. Getting tired of it. The constant pain, the medications making me constipated, physically and mentally. Person has to poop.
    tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

I'm curious, whats the problem with miralax? I thought it was rather benign. The GI i was seeing thought it was good.
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by da lurker View Post
    I'm curious, whats the problem with miralax? I thought it was rather benign. The GI i was seeing thought it was good.
    There is nothing wrong with taking Miralax. The problem I think Patrick Madsen was referring to was the amount of both Miralax and Senna you were taking daily. The package directions on Miralax suggest taking 17 grams in a glass of water once per day. Like wise the Senna instruction indicate taking it once a day. Taking both is doubling up on laxatives. Taking both multiple times a day, is just too harsh on you gastro tract. Yours I think was a case of if a little is good, more is better, which when it come to laxative medication isn't necessarily the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Sounds like you may have burned out the rectum with too many laxatives and Miralax.
    That don,t sound good
    tom

My bowel program needs work.

I understand what y'all are saying. I never thought of miralax as a laxative but a stool softener. GI doctor told me to take it 3xday over a year ago. Every time I would slack off miralax I would get stopped up. I need to do a controlled tapering down.

I recently bought some real magic bullets.(not generic) No more senna.

This is hard talking about. Must be my potty training.

I,ve been sci 21 years. Always had hard dry stools but they came out. Only last 2 or 3 years had I needed laxatives. Increased my pain meds because of more injuries. I've recently cut back on pain meds to pre constipation days, but have added nurontin to the mix, and now I find out it causes constipation.
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by da lurker View Post
    My bowel program needs work.

I understand what y'all are saying. I never thought of miralax as a laxative but a stool softener. GI doctor told me to take it 3xday over a year ago. Every time I would slack off miralax I would get stopped up. I need to do a controlled tapering down.

I recently bought some real magic bullets.(not generic) No more senna.

This is hard talking about. Must be my potty training.

I,ve been sci 21 years. Always had hard dry stools but they came out. Only last 2 or 3 years had I needed laxatives. Increased my pain meds because of more injuries. I've recently cut back on pain meds to pre constipation days, but have added nurontin to the mix, and now I find out it causes constipation.
    This may seem like an unrelated question, but how do you manage your bladder? Do you take any anticholinergic medications (Oybutynin etc.) for bladder spasms. These drugs can also contribute to constipation.

That is not a bad thought to explore.
    Ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Mirgabetron (Myrbetriq) is not an anticholinergic and less problems with constipation.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Mirgabetron (Myrbetriq) is not an anticholinergic and less problems with constipation.
    CWO
    And yet, the Myrbetriq website includes constipation in its list of 12 most common side effects.
    The most common side effects of Myrbetriq include:

• increased blood pressure
    • common cold symptoms (nasopharyngitis)
    • dry mouth
    • flu symptoms
    • urinary tract infection
    • back pain
    • dizziness
    • joint pain
    • headache
    • constipation
    • sinus (sinus irritation)
    • inflammation of the bladder (cystitis)

https://www.myrbetriq.com/side-effects/

Tom,
    What's your level of injury? Most neurogenic bowel SCI currently use Enemeez or Enemeez Plus. Have you tried either? Enemeez is a mini-enema that allows SCI with neurogenic bowel to have a natural BM, and assists in preventing accidents, discharge and constipation. Furthermore, it's important you drink enough fluids for BM and your because of your meds. I'm using Enemeez Plus for 17+ years and don't ever think about discharge or accidents, and my quality of life has improved because of Enemeez. Enemeez offers a patient assistance program and provides samples. Hope this can assist you too. Please feel free to contact me if you want to speak privately.