Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Para belly exercises

I told my excellent PT doctor that I feel my crunches more when I fire my thigh muscles or raise my arms at the same time. His solution: placing an exercise ball in my lap, extending my arms over the top of the ball (and banded together to keep them in place) and crunching into the ball from three sides – my chest, my arms and my thighs. Instead of insane numbers of crunches, I do sustained five-second squeezes, easing into and out of them, very controlled. I alternate to the left side, center and right.

I go into it more at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    My son, c6/7 15 years post, has cut out sugar and carbs. He does 100+ crunches every day. He does not have a 6 pack and probably never will, but he looks great and has a very small gut.
    I'm curious... I keep hearing about people doing crunches. How does that work? I used to do crunches prior to my accident, but can't do them anymore. Maybe I'm just doing the wrong.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    I'm curious... I keep hearing about people doing crunches. How does that work? I used to do crunches prior to my accident, but can't do them anymore. Maybe I'm just doing the wrong.
    There's some magical thinking going on here -- not referring to you specifically. If you have no use of your abs then you can't do crunches. Just like if you have no use of your leg muscles you can't do squats, even baby ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    There's some magical thinking going on here -- not referring to you specifically. If you have no use of your abs then you can't do crunches. Just like if you have no use of your leg muscles you can't do squats, even baby ones.
    Sure, that makes sense. But even if they're not real crunches, I'd love to know what people are doing. I'm clearly not doing enough right now!
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Weighted pullups. Sex (BEST), cable crunches, strap yourself to chair just enough to not fall out and reach out and touch something, couch, ball, etc. Cable machine again, grab a handle both hands and turn as much as possible (left-right). Look it up on YouTube, it'll explain better then me. Get on knees in front of couch, knees up, hold core tight as long as possible.... I've been into weight training for 3 years, down from a size 36 pants to a 30 . If ya want it you can get it. New dip machine in gym today, failure to get to chair.... Fell on the ground... Haha, got back in chair, practice makes perfect. I've got 6 abs, 2 work, to below don't