Thread: SleepNumber mattress questions

SleepNumber mattress questions

I've heard a various people recommend SleepNumber mattresses. I'm looking into them and have some questions. I now use TempurPedic, which I like a lot but they only last 8 months or so before they start to sag.

I tend to spend a lot of time in bed, and I don't really weightshift when I'm asleep.

1. Any suggestions on what kind? Can I just get the mattress without the electric bed?
    2. Do these make any transformer hum? Some of my electrical devices, like my adjustable table, makes a hum sometimes even when not in use. It would be bothersome in a bed while trying to sleep.
    3. I thought I read some people say they put a TempurPedic foam topper over the mattress. Is this necessary?
    4. For some reason the SleepNumber stores by me all get savaged on Yelp. The reviews typically complain about warranty and return policies. Any comments on SleepNumber service/reliability?

we love ours. get mid to upper level priced bed, the cheapy they advertise, well, its a cheapy.
    only noise when raising or lowering firmness. no hum or anything
    nothing extra needed with mid-upper level unit they have nice pillow top.
    ive warrantied 3 remotes because i drop them, zero issues and get the mattress cover, worth every penny. no matter what if "any" liquid gets through they will replace anything and everything that got wet no questions asked. we did this 2x in 7 years, no issues.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

We've had ours since 2005, with the adjustable bases, we have a split king, essentially 2 twins. We replaced the topper layer a couple years ago, it was beat down after more than a decade, and they sent us whole new outer layers as the zippers had changed, at no additional cost. We are still on original air bladders.

Last week I too wiped out our 3rd remote for mattresses. She looked us up and said, "did the remote have the round top?", yes. We don't have any of those anymore, they're too old. How about a new pump and remote, under partial warranty, for $75? Sold. 14 yrs later and they still discount parts. I have no complaints. Hell, I paid more than that for one of the adj base remotes(they were a different company).

As Fuentes said, the pump only makes noise while inflating/deflating, totally silent otherwise. We also bought the "mid level" range mattress, the cheap one had no topper at all, and the priciest ones were too thick. I don't roll at night, and the bed has not caused any skin issues, I set the number low(35) for soft laying, then 100 for getting in/out.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Curious how you were able to get the topper replaced for free. Are you referring to the pillow topper?

Couldnt live without it!!!!! 🙌

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I've heard a various people recommend SleepNumber mattresses. I'm looking into them and have some questions. I now use TempurPedic, which I like a lot but they only last 8 months or so before they start to sag.

I tend to spend a lot of time in bed, and I don't really weightshift when I'm asleep.

1. Any suggestions on what kind? Can I just get the mattress without the electric bed?
    2. Do these make any transformer hum? Some of my electrical devices, like my adjustable table, makes a hum sometimes even when not in use. It would be bothersome in a bed while trying to sleep.
    3. I thought I read some people say they put a TempurPedic foam topper over the mattress. Is this necessary?
    4. For some reason the SleepNumber stores by me all get savaged on Yelp. The reviews typically complain about warranty and return policies. Any comments on SleepNumber service/reliability?

I am a C4/5 quadriplegic and spend the majority of my time in bed. I have had it for about 7 yrs.
    1. Yes you can get a mattress without the adjustable base. I have one and it is amazing. It is very helpful also in so many ways! Rather than proping up on 1 million pillows and for pressure relief!! Since it is air that is inside the bed that fills and deflates is also my number one priority for pressure relief!
    2. The ONLY Time it makes a noise is when filling or un filling with air or adjusting it to sit up or put your feet up/down. Which is not loud at all, actually pretty surprising
    3. I have never heard of this, nor does it make any sense to me. When I let the air out of the bed I sink all the way in and when I fill it up it?s completely flat. I don?t see how that would be beneficial at all, because then the bed wouldn?t give as much.
    4. In the years I have it I have never had a problem except for dropping the remote and needing a new one. And absolutely no sign of needing one anytime soon!

I would like to add that I have never gotten one pressure sore since I?ve had this bed! It is been a lifesaver! I hope you get one, or a bed you find suitable for you. Happy shopping and sleeping. I hope this helps

Sorry, my wording was a little misleading. We paid some amount to get the pillow topper section of the mattress replaced, they then found that the new topper would not mate up with our lower section, as the zippering had changed on their newer mattresses compared to our old dinosaur model, so they included the lower section at no additional cost.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Curious how you were able to get the topper replaced for free. Are you referring to the pillow topper?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    we love ours. get mid to upper level priced bed, the cheapy they advertise, well, its a cheapy.
    only noise when raising or lowering firmness. no hum or anything
    nothing extra needed with mid-upper level unit they have nice pillow top.
    ive warrantied 3 remotes because i drop them, zero issues and get the mattress cover, worth every penny. no matter what if "any" liquid gets through they will replace anything and everything that got wet no questions asked. we did this 2x in 7 years, no issues.
    Same experience - without dropping the remotes. I wish now that we'd purchased the model that allows each person to raise the head separately. Other than that, everything is great. We tried the pressure mapping in the store (to help you select 'your number'), and that was helpful. One other thing to mention - we had the installers attach short legs instead of wheels so the height was perfectly aligned with the bed. Be sure to ask about this and make sure you get the perfect height.

The type of mattress matters but not as much as I first thought it may. I find than any medium mattress gets me half the way there. Even with air mattress, sometimes I sleep great and other times I don't. For consistently good sleep, I need little to no spasms. The baclofen pump keeps the spasms low but not always low enough. A hot shower and some marijuana right before sleep usually help to reduce spasms low enough to sleep well.

I have the sleep number 360 smart bed. Other than controlling from your phone which I am guessing most can do now, this bed adapts to your position. So if I’m sitting in bed it moves the air and therefore the pressure off my backside but when I lay down and my bony hips push into the bed if readjusts the air accordingly. It is not instant for me (I weigh 140) but it is pretty quick.