Thread: Silver-coated catheter

Silver-coated catheter

I just noticed that my urologist gave me a silver-coated catheter in the goodie bag from my last visit. We hadn't specifically talked about the need for any sort of antibiotic in my bladder, but I figure that it might be a good way to reduce sediment production.

Internet research suggests that these catheters aren't very effective in killing bacteria. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Also, I have a history with C diff. Is there any chance that the catheter like this could negatively affect gut flora?

I don't believe that the catheter will effect the flora of the gut. The idea was that the coating helps to protect against infections via the urethra into the bladder. It has helped some people but others have not reported any changes. If you want to give it a try, it MAY be helpful.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.