Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawyer for applying SSDI?

I will update my status.
    First of all, Sorry landrover for this late response. No, I didn't work for a state agency.

I applied SSDI on April. Since I also applied a LTD, I had some copy of my medical records and a doctor's statement submitted to the LTD.
    There were many questions on the online application, but most questions were about myself. So, I think I had to provide all the information even if I hired a lawyer. It means the work I needed to do was fairly same regardless of hiring a lawyer.

After finishing the online submission, which took me about a week, I visited a local SS office and submitted the doctor's statement and medical records. During the online application, they asked me to provide a family, friends, or anyone who knows my disability. I wrote one of my care givers name and she received a form to fill out and she mailed it to the SS office.

After that, I just waited for about 2 months and my case was approved in June.

Unfortunate part is that the LTD denied my claim because they didn't see why I stopped working after working for 20+ years although my doctors wrote strong statements even twice. So, I just gave my case to a lawyer. It may take time, but well... time will tell.

Difficult part is the medicare. As we know, medicare doesn't start for the next 2 years and I have to pay for a COBRA plan by myself and this is expensive.

"Unfortunate part is that the LTD denied my claim because they didn't see why I stopped working after working for 20+ years although my doctors wrote strong statements even twice. So, I just gave my case to a lawyer. It may take time, but well... time will tell."

This has been my main question/concern. I've worked for 16 years to date following my injury, so I've wondered how I would be eligible for disability retirement with the same condition that I've shown I can work with, unless there were complications. Did your doctor address new complications?

For the last one year, I have had femur fracture, cellulitis, UTI, low bone density on my legs, fatigue etc, but the insurance company thinks none of these prevent me working. I think they just tried to find any reason not to pay. A lawyer asked me if my job performance was degraded. Despite all difficulties, I am a person who usually don't miss my tasks. You may try not too hard and may need to lower your job performance, but I am not sure if it helps.

As you may agree, doctors do not have many things to do for SCI. But it may be useful to visit doctors and you may continuously say how much you are tired although there is nothing that dr. can do. It could be on doctor's records and could be used during the claim.
    Last edited by JK; 08-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Something to think about for sure. I’m 44 years old, so health permitting, I plan to continue for a while.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately those issues are acute and treatable conditions, not long term disabilities. I think you need a doctor to address your actual long term disability progression into a 'can't work' state. Treatable complications are not really LTD progression. They can be related, to be sure, but could you really imagine an LTD benefit award for a broken leg? Or a UTI? Those are things able bodied people work with all the time, and will go away. Focus on the progression of the actual LTD with a doctor, and your lawyer, not the short term treatable complications, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    For the last one year, I have had femur fracture, cellulitis, UTI, low bone density on my legs, fatigue etc, but the insurance company thinks none of these prevent me working. I think they just tried to find any reason not to pay. A lawyer asked me if my job performance was degraded. Despite all difficulties, I am a person who usually don't miss my tasks. You may try not too hard and may need to lower your job performance, but I am not sure if it helps.

As you may agree, doctors do not have many things to do for SCI. But it may be useful to visit doctors and you may continuously say how much you are tired although there is nothing that dr. can do. It could be on doctor's records and could be used during the claim.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Oddity. Good points and I agree.
    Nevertheless, after all the complication, I have been very tired. Severe fatigue is eligible for LTD. It is just a matter of how to prove the fatigue.
    Also, what if the broken femur didn't connect the bridge after a year?
    For abled body, broken bone, cellulitis, UTI could be acute & treatable. For a quad, these things can push him above the limit. I think It is all matter of how they accept the conditions.

This is one of reasons on my denial letter.
    "PT shows that you have motor function and you are trying to become more active, however you were very deconditioned" I think it should be a reason for approval. Motor function? Yes, I didn't die. I can move some part of my arms as a C-6 complete SCI.
    My point on this one was "Yes, I am still trying to become more active, but my condition is not enough. This is the reason why I filed the LTD claim, but you denied."
    Last edited by JK; 08-10-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    Oddity. Good points and I agree.
    Nevertheless, after all the complication, I have been very tired. Severe fatigue is eligible for LTD. It is just a matter of how to prove the fatigue.
    Also, what if the broken femur didn't connect the bridge after a year?
    For abled body, broken bone, cellulitis, UTI could be acute & treatable. For a quad, these things can push him above the limit. I think It is all matter of how they accept the conditions.

This is one of reasons on my denial letter.
    "PT shows that you have motor function and you are trying to become more active, however you were very deconditioned" I think it should be a reason for approval. Motor function? Yes, I didn't die. I can move some part of my arms as a C-6 complete SCI.
    My point on this one was "Yes, I am still trying to become more active, but my condition is not enough. This is the reason why I filed the LTD claim, but you denied."
    That is outrages. I see people all the time on disability and can't figure out how they receive it because they look in good health.
    I remember one guy told me he has anxiety. And he owns rental property and does all the handy work on them. Another guy was working part time under the table and he told me he was collecting disability but it wasn't enough so he was doing Mechanic work to help get by.
    I think that is what attorneys are for. To scam the system.