Thread: Searching for thick, stiff button-down shirts?

Question Searching for thick, stiff button-down shirts?

For the longest time, used to wear the same old heavy thick polo button-down shirts and/or the thicker or stiff shirt for pushing in the chair.

Looks like all my shirts are really beat up from pushing and having a short beard.

Does anyone have suggestions on thick button-down shirts that are easy to push a wheelchair in? I've noticed that the stiffer thicker ones don't cling to my body and provide more room in the shoulder so I can maneuver and move around without feeling the pull from twisting.

Before purchasing I always check out the fabric for that thick almost burlap like cotton fabric ? however, I can't seem to find anything easy. The more exceptional shirts are thin and comfortable ? yet cling to my body especially during the summer and humid days.

Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    For the longest time, used to wear the same old heavy thick polo button-down shirts and/or the thicker or stiff shirt for pushing in the chair.

Looks like all my shirts are really beat up from pushing and having a short beard.

Does anyone have suggestions on thick button-down shirts that are easy to push a wheelchair in? I've noticed that the stiffer thicker ones don't cling to my body and provide more room in the shoulder so I can maneuver and move around without feeling the pull from twisting.

Before purchasing I always check out the fabric for that thick almost burlap like cotton fabric ? however, I can't seem to find anything easy. The more exceptional shirts are thin and comfortable ? yet cling to my body especially during the summer and humid days.

Any recommendations?
    You are probably thinking about Oxford cloth. This men's shirting fabric a thick and densely woven cotton which is highly resilient and hard-wearing. But, as with most things, you will get what you pay for. Oxford cloth comes in many qualities. While you can buy Oxford cloth button down shirts from Penny's for about $25.00, you will pay substantially more (upwards of $75.00) than for better quality Oxford cloth. If you want long sleeves, it is going to a little difficult finding a broad choice since we are starting summer in a few weeks.

Check out men's shirts at Duluth Trading Company. They specialize in work clothing for both men and women, and have several different button-down style long sleeve shirts which are made to give easily in the shoulder area for those working in construction or gardening. Many have extra-long tails too (no plumber's butt!):

https://www.duluthtrading.com/men/shirts/button-downs/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I like LL Bean. But it doesn't make sense to wear them always. Because the cuffs get worn out from the rubbing against the handrims before the rest of the shirt, I tend to wear less expensive and durable material (like flannels) mostly for utility and the more expensive shirts for social events.

Dickies Heavy Cotton Work shirts (not button down however): https://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Sleev.../dp/B00ENEK6LM

Carrthart Work Shirts: https://www.carhartt.com/category/ca...ce:&pageSize:&

Like KDL and gjnl you might look at shirts they posted Duluth Trading Company and Dickies. Around here any ranch/fram stores like Tractor Supply and my favorite Atwoods have work shirts that are very thick, durable and stiff tough cloth shirts. Best part this time of year the long sleeve ones are on sale now since short sleeves in season now.
    https://www.atwoods.com/department/c...ed-shirts.html
    Even some of nicer work shirts have vents under yoke on your back. You might look at fishing, hiing or camera gear shirts they may not be thick as you want but most have vents/breathable areas.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...5.uts?slotId=0

These are great suggestions. Thank you – going to check out the different materials. you guys rock

Blog Entries
    I guess nobody starches their shirts anymore.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments