Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to make Jeep Wrangler accessible?

Possible to make Jeep Wrangler accessible?

Does anyone know if it?s possible to make a wrangler accessible to get a chair in from the ground without a folding chair

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Does anyone know if it?s possible to make a wrangler accessible to get a chair in from the ground without a folding chair
    It can be done.

We had a CareCure member -Scott- who drove an accessible Jeep. He no longer comes here but is on Facebook.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Absolutely!!! It’s a lot of work but it can definitely be done.

Its been done. Lift into the back. I get in my drivers seat with a winch from harbor freight then bring my chair in the door, but I have a folder.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Its been done. Lift into the back. I get in my drivers seat with a winch from harbor freight then bring my chair in the door, but I have a folder.
    The winch lifts you? How? Do you have pictures?

My profile might have a shot of my lifted CJ7. Big hook on end of winch cable hooks to loops on patient lift. Lifts you in then you unhook patient lift and hook onto chair and lift it into back. All of this is mounted so it rotates. Drawback-no roof. I used this setup for years.
    4xquad

I built my first accessible Jeep wrangler back in '92. I started out by adding a second rear hoop to the roll bar like yours. It hinged on the existing roll bar and had actuators on each side. There was a winch mounted at the middle that would lift me with straps on my chair, like a super arm lift, and then the roll bar hoop would swing in then I'd winch down to the floor. I then decided to use a conventional lift in the back and found the Ricon Unilte worked best. I lowered the rear floor about 8 inches to make enough headroom and added a modified B&D power seat base and hand controls. I drove that for many years as my daily and took it offroad rock climbing with a jeep club for a few years. It was as far as I could tell the only wheelchair accessible jeep. I had it in the Abilities Expo one year and helped a few people build their own including Scott. I still have it but in 2015 I bought a 4door Jeep JK unlimited and converted it. It was a major undertaking taking over a year to build but it turned out awesome and well worth the time and money and has been my daily driver for the past 3 years. I also lowered the rear floor, power rear door and window, Fiorella wheelchair lift, B&D seat base and Suregrip hand controls. It's really not much different than a full size van conversion just less space.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    I built my first accessible Jeep wrangler back in '92. I started out by adding a second rear hoop to the roll bar like yours. It hinged on the existing roll bar and had actuators on each side. There was a winch mounted at the middle that would lift me with straps on my chair, like a super arm lift, and then the roll bar hoop would swing in then I'd winch down to the floor. I then decided to use a conventional lift in the back and found the Ricon Unilte worked best. I lowered the rear floor about 8 inches to make enough headroom and added a modified B&D power seat base and hand controls. I drove that for many years as my daily and took it offroad rock climbing with a jeep club for a few years. It was as far as I could tell the only wheelchair accessible jeep. I had it in the Abilities Expo one year and helped a few people build their own including Scott. I still have it but in 2015 I bought a 4door Jeep JK unlimited and converted it. It was a major undertaking taking over a year to build but it turned out awesome and well worth the time and money and has been my daily driver for the past 3 years. I also lowered the rear floor, power rear door and window, Fiorella wheelchair lift, B&D seat base and Suregrip hand controls. It's really not much different than a full size van conversion just less space.
    Got any pics of the JK?

Very nice. Did you have to move the gas tank? Do you pull your legs up over the center console?