Thread: What type of mattress/bed do you sleep on?

What type of mattress/bed do you sleep on?

I am C-5 level quadriplegic. My current mattress options cause way too much back pain and overall discomfort. I got a PressureGuard Easy Air LR air mattress a while back when I developed a pressure sore on my bottom. It feels like I'm sleeping on a slab of concrete for some reason. I then got a Tempur-pedic mattress pad for the top of it and it is too soft (I know, I'm Goldilocks). So now I am really only looking for a new mattress because I already have a hospital bed frame from years back. I was wondering what other beds people find comfortable that are also good for pressure relief? I should also note that I like the hospital bed frame because it has rails.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon14 View Post
    I am C-5 level quadriplegic. My current mattress options cause way too much back pain and overall discomfort. I got a PressureGuard Easy Air LR air mattress a while back when I developed a pressure sore on my bottom. It feels like I'm sleeping on a slab of concrete for some reason. I then got a Tempur-pedic mattress pad for the top of it and it is too soft (I know, I'm Goldilocks). So now I am really only looking for a new mattress because I already have a hospital bed frame from years back. I was wondering what other beds people find comfortable that are also good for pressure relief? I should also note that I like the hospital bed frame because it has rails.
    Hi "brandon14," and welcome to the Care Cure Community.

Beds/mattresses have been a much discussed topic on these pages. Even though the "Search" feature doesn't work very well, I think you can use the search box in the upper right corner of these pages and find discussions.

Many in our community swear by a Sleep Number bed. You will find a lot of discussions about this bed type, when you search.

I use a alternating air mattress which I can. Set from very soft to firm much like a sleep. Number for a lot less money and it fluctuates all night . I don't move much at night especially if I take a sleeping pill . I have never had a pressure sore. I have had mine almost 5 years. It was less than 50.00

sleep number. best imo. worth every penny
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Ditto to Sleep Number. With adjustable base.

I've been using a waterbed since moving into my own place immediately after rehab in 1989. I'm paralysed from the chest down and have no issues getting in and out of it. You can reduce the thermostat to cool off in the summer and turn it up in the winter to combat the cold. (I live in Canada.) The problem is that it's ruined me for conventional beds like when I stay in hotels because I can't get truly comfortable. If you have the misfortune of wetting the bed they are super easy to clean and disinfect.