Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cushion advice needed.

Blog Entries
    If protecting your butt is indeed the #1 priority, then this is the best, most rational, answer. Everyone is different. Anecdotal reports, of what works for one person vs another, are the worst, least rational, answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Suggest you have a seating evaluation that includes computerized interface pressure testing on a variety of cushions. Ride custom cushions are great for those who cannot have their needs met with an off-the-shelf cushion, but they are expensive, difficult to find a therapist or DME who has been trained to fit them, and can be difficult to transfer into and out of.

(KLD)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Not for me. I have pressure issues on my trochanters. Can't cheat physics. 100% of your weight will be somewhere. The fewer 'somewheres', the greater % of the total pressure the remaining 'somewheres' have to bear. For me, the largest surface area possible has been best, rather than isolating one spot, at the price of higher risk at others. There isn't a universal solution to SCI seating. This was one of a few issues I had with Ride custom. Never had transfer issues though. I've always used frame and wheels as anchor points for xfer.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    It's not just about having your needs met. It's how well those needs are met. No other cushion can provide zero pressure on your butt. Low pressure on your butt is a need. Zero pressure on your butt is a huge benefit above that need.

Ride cushions may be more difficult to transfer out but they are easier to transfer in. The reason is that it is solid. Hence, when transferring in, your hand remains on the top of the cushion. When transferring into a foam or air cushion, your hand sinks in. If you have 1" low profile air cushion, your hand sinks 1" so you have to lift 1" more. For people who have a 4" air cushion, they have to lift 4" more. That is pretty significant.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I've used a J-2 Deep Contour and found it to be the most comfortable for my butt. s a C-5-6 quad, stability when transferring was crucial. Never a skin problem but I'm fortunate to have good skin and sensation.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Ride Resigns Java cushion (about $400) is an off the shelf version functioning much like their custom cushion but with more cushioning. I had used a Roho Hybrid Elite for about 8 years, with no skin breakdown issues. The air cushioning, however, allowed my hips to rotate which led to some spinal scoliosis. My OT recommended the Java which pressure mapped very well for me and straightened up my spine. The only complaint I have about it is that it is more difficult for me to scoot my butt forward to make cathing easier. The Hybrid Elite also had rigid foam up front so transferring is about equally easy between the two of them. The Java is about 2/3 the weight of my Roho.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    100% of your weight will be somewhere. The fewer 'somewheres', the greater % of the total pressure the remaining 'somewheres' have to bear.
    Yes.
    For me, the largest surface area possible has been best, rather than isolating one spot, at the price of higher risk at others.
    Yes. This is exactly the reason to use the Ride Custom cushion. Because the Ride is the only cushion that distributes weight along your thighs whereas other cushions pinpoint your weight on two hot spots of your sitting bones.

But, it all comes down to experience. If it didn't work for you then all theory doesn't matter.

I've always used frame and wheels as anchor points for xfer.
    Using the wheel to transfer out seems fine. But using the wheel to transfer into the chair doesn't seem possible. I guess you can grab the frame to transfer into the chair. But you are giving up a lot of lift. I've always used a clenched fist on top of the cushion because it's the tallest spot (other than the wheel) so it offers the most lift (easiest on the shoulders).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by August West; 04-20-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Yes. This is exactly the reason to use the Ride Custom cushion. Because the Ride is the only cushion that distributes weight along your thighs whereas other cushions pinpoint your weight on two hot spots of your sitting bones.
    That is patently incorrect. Many cushions and seating systems shift weight from the ischiums to the thighs or float the ischiums. A Ride custom is a good cushion for the right person, but it is not the best for everyone.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many cushions... float the ischiums.
    Which other cushion floats the ischiums?

Anyone heard about Roho Cushions...better yet all the lines of cushions Permobil has acquired. Take another look: https://permobilus.com/products/seat...ning-products/

Going back to the 1960s through the 1980s there were high density foam laminated cushions which had a ischial cut-out, and which were often customized by the therapists who fit the cushion for the client. I went to a conference in 1983 put on by RESNA (Rehab Engineering Society of North America) where we learned to customize such cushions in a workshop for people in chairs who were also attending the conference.

Here is an article describing how a therapist can make this type of cushion (historic): https://www.physio-pedia.com/Cushions

Also this one which has been around since the 1980s: http://www.spanamerica.com/isch_dish.php

Here are a couple of diagrams:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Why do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i use the classic xs...........
    fuentejps,

Why do you like it?

Why have you been using it so long?

Easy to care for and keep clean?

Thanks,
    Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."