Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cushion advice needed.

Cushion advice needed.

For more than 20 plus years I've been sitting on an Otto Bock Cloud with Floam cushion. This week a Numotion representative and physical therapist and a TiLite representative stopped by my house to go over details on my new TiLite ZR.

When asked about the cushion I said. "I want an Otto Bock Cloud cushion."

Both representatives looked at each other and the Numotion rep said, "Otto Boch got out of the seating cushion business several years ago."

Which I was left in disbelief! I never had a pressure injury from the Otto Bock Cloud cushion. The Numotion rep said he came buy one from another company if he can find one my size (16"W x 18"D) and add his profit to it. I thought I can do the same too and save myself that extra profit but my insurance should cover the cost of the cushion.

The Numotion rep suggested Roho and TiLite representative suggested a Permobile cushion which is made up of diamond shaped air bags inside a piece of plastic type material.

I do not want a air cushion or a Roho cushion. I would like to steer in the direction of a gel cushion.

With today's digital fabrication and advancements in 3D printing I saw some cushions made of a polymer hex shape and very light in weight but I do not know if it is good?

Both reps asked, "What are you looking for in a cushion?"

I replied, "Pressure injury protection. Weight does not matter to me."

So I am reaching out to the CareCure community on what are some good high quality pressure injury protection cushions that you are using?

What cushion are you sitting on to protect your butt?

Why do you like it?

Can you please find a photo of the inside of the cushion or a web site address to refer to.

This is what an Otto Bock Cloud cushion looks like inside.

Thanks for your help and input.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Check out the Ride Designs Custom cushions. You are essentially sitting in a hole that is customized to your body. The cushion supports you by the sides of your legs and back leaving your butt floating in air. The only downside to sitting in a hole is that it is more difficult to get out of it than a flat cushion.

Ride design are great but having your pressure on your sides in my case have me problems on sides of legs honestly I have never had a problem with roho that’s the only one I will use

Suggest you have a seating evaluation that includes computerized interface pressure testing on a variety of cushions. Ride custom cushions are great for those who cannot have their needs met with an off-the-shelf cushion, but they are expensive, difficult to find a therapist or DME who has been trained to fit them, and can be difficult to transfer into and out of.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It's not just about having your needs met. It's how well those needs are met. No other cushion can provide zero pressure on your butt. Low pressure on your butt is a need. Zero pressure on your butt is a huge benefit above that need.

Ride cushions may be more difficult to transfer out but they are easier to transfer in. The reason is that it is solid. Hence, when transferring in, your hand remains on the top of the cushion. When transferring into a foam or air cushion, your hand sinks in. If you have 1" low profile air cushion, your hand sinks 1" so you have to lift 1" more. For people who have a 4" air cushion, they have to lift 4" more. That is pretty significant.
    Last edited by August West; 04-20-2019 at 12:36 AM.

im a supracor guy. over 25 yrs never any redness or sores.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

jay 2 for me 18 years no sore or red spot but I am a nut about moving every few minutes

Which Supracor cushion?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im a supracor guy. over 25 yrs never any redness or sores.
    fuentejps,

Which Supracor cushion?

Thanks,
    Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Suggest you have a seating evaluation that includes computerized interface pressure testing on a variety of cushions. Ride custom cushions are great for those who cannot have their needs met with an off-the-shelf cushion, but they are expensive, difficult to find a therapist or DME who has been trained to fit them, and can be difficult to transfer into and out of.

(KLD)
    Absolutely the best bet. I use a Jay Fusion and wanted something lighter for a new cushion. I had some cushions in mind and went through pressure testing. Turns out the Fusion is still the best one for me. I was very surprised how the others tested. It's not that they're 'bad', just that they don't work as well for me.

i use the classic xs...........
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    fuentejps,

Which Supracor cushion?

Thanks,
    Ti
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer