Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Bacteriophage

  1. #11
    Senior Member Schmeky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    West Monroe, LA, USA
    Posts
    3,416
    GJ,

    I took matters into my own hands since I was suffering severe reactions to the heavy antibiotic regime my Urologist was continuously subjecting me to. I was actually getting worse under my Uro's care. I won't elaborate on just how bad I had gotten.

    The phage therapy is being done on the advisement and recommendation of the Phage Therapy Center. Hopefully I should be able to answer some of your questions over time.

    Bacteria over a long time frame, can become Phage resistant, but in doing so, the bacteria looses it's ability to resist antibiotics. So the bacteria reverts to it's pre-antibiotic resistance state (according to USA based Adaptive Phage Therapeutics research).


    If another bacteria emerges, there should be a Phage to address it, since the most common for me has been Enterococcus and E.coli, with E.coli being dominate. PTC offers an off the shelf single Phage that will address both Enterococcus and E.coli simultaneously. The Phage Therapy Center can also custom tailor a Phage "cocktail" that can target multiple pathogens since I have inquired about this previously.

    If the Phage does in fact eradicate the resistant pathogen strain, and eliminate the supporting biofilm (as Adaptive Phage Therapeutics has reported based on their lab research), then theoretically, I should be able to transition into a maintenance phase using something like Methenamine, that I have used successfully in the past.


    It's to early to answer some of your questions definitively.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 05-27-2019 at 08:07 PM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    GJ,

    I took matters into my own hands since I was suffering severe reactions to the heavy antibiotic regime my Urologist was continuously subjecting me to. I was actually getting worse under my Uro's care. I won't elaborate on just how bad I had gotten.

    The phage therapy is being done on the advisement and recommendation of the Phage Therapy Center. I will be able to answer some of your questions over time. Bacteria can over an extended time frame, become Phage resistant, but in doing so, the bacterial looses it ability to resist antibiotics. So the bacteria reverts to it's pre-resistance state.


    If another bacteria emerges, there should be a Phage to address it, since the most common for me has been Enterococcus and E.coli, with E.coli being dominate. There is a single Phage that will address both Enterococcus and E.coli simultaneously. The Phage Therapy Center can also custom tailor a Phage "cocktail" that can target multiple pathogens since I have inquired about this previously.
    Thanks for your response. The statement on their website that I quoted just made it seem that they were pretty insistent on have a doctor's involvement for their "distance" patients.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    GJ,

    I took matters into my own hands since I was suffering severe reactions to the heavy antibiotic regime my Urologist was continuously subjecting me to. I was actually getting worse under my Uro's care. I won't elaborate on just how bad I had gotten.

    The phage therapy is being done on the advisement and recommendation of the Phage Therapy Center. I will be able to answer some of your questions over time. Bacteria can over an extended time frame, become Phage resistant, but in doing so, the bacterial looses it ability to resist antibiotics. So the bacteria reverts to it's pre-resistance state.


    If another bacteria emerges, there should be a Phage to address it, since the most common for me has been Enterococcus and E.coli, with E.coli being dominate. There is a single Phage that will address both Enterococcus and E.coli simultaneously. The Phage Therapy Center can also custom tailor a Phage "cocktail" that can target multiple pathogens since I have inquired about this previously.
    I get Enterococcus as well as a secondary infection, with Pseudomonas by far being the dominant infection. Most of the time the enterococcus infection I get can be cleared with macrobid. Can I ask… Did you say initially were you supposed to drink the vials before you started to instill them in your bladder? For years, many years I have been doing bladder irrigations with first gentamicin until it was resistant, and then tobramycin, and now finally amikacin.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Schmeky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    West Monroe, LA, USA
    Posts
    3,416
    shamrock88,

    As my initial post indicated, PTC recommended I take 2 x 10ML vials, twice daily (one treatment in the morning and one treatment in the evening, total of 40 ML in 24 hours). This would equate to a 40 day treatment protocol since I received 160, 10ML vials.

    I am presently taking 1 x 10ML vial, twice daily via direct installation (total of 20 ML in 24 hours).


    My goal is to see if I can be antibiotic free for an extended, if not permanent time frame.

  5. #15
    [QUOTE=Schmeky;1879219]Tayberry,


    I was invoiced for 32 packages (there are 5 vials per package) of PYO Bacteriophage at $1,440.00 USD, total. The shipping for the phage was $250.00 USD, via Fedex.

    My urine culture was $200.00 USD and it cost me $320.00 USD to send the urine specimen from the USA to Georgia via Fedex.


    Many thanks for sharing this information.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    shamrock88,

    As my initial post indicated, PTC recommended I take 2 x 10ML vials, twice daily (one treatment in the morning and one treatment in the evening, total of 40 ML in 24 hours). This would equate to a 40 day treatment protocol since I received 160, 10ML vials.

    I am presently taking 1 x 10ML vial, twice daily via direct installation (total of 20 ML in 24 hours).


    My goal is to see if I can be antibiotic free for an extended, if not permanent time frame.
    just checking in seeing out you were progressing, hope it's going well. Give us an update If you can when able.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Schmeky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    West Monroe, LA, USA
    Posts
    3,416
    Bacteriophage effectiveness stopped being effective. I spoke with someone at Phage International about my experience and only then did I learn more about this treatment.

    You can only use it for 10 days max since the human body generates an immune response to any virus in a short period of time. The claims bacteriophage can eliminate the targeted bacteria and eradicate the biofilm did not pan out based on my experience. I was extremely disheartened and disappointed. I was told to send another urine sample to the Republic of Georgia for another round of phage. I decided not to. I think phage a ways to go before it is successful for chronic UTI strictly based on my personal experience.

    Once I finished the phage, I developed a full blown UTI (chills, fever, shaking, and nausea), the first in a long time. Culture showed the only thing that was effective was Cipro. So I did a round of Cipro and decided to change my preventative strategy once I finished the Cipro.

    I am now taking a total of 4 grams of Methenamine (used this years ago with good results) daily. Since my culture always shows +E. Coli, I ordered in a 500mg pill form of D-Mannose with a 95%+ rating from Amazon that I take 3x a day (never really used D-Mannose regularly). Lastly, I irrigate my urethra with Vetericyn VF Plus to keep from pushing bacteria back into my bladder when I intermittent cath.

    I have been crystal clear for almost 2 weeks now, a record for me. Time will tell.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    Bacteriophage effectiveness stopped being effective. I spoke with someone at Phage International about my experience and only then did I learn more about this treatment.

    You can only use it for 10 days max since the human body generates an immune response to any virus in a short period of time. The claims bacteriophage can eliminate the targeted bacteria and eradicate the biofilm did not pan out based on my experience. I was extremely disheartened and disappointed. I was told to send another urine sample to the Republic of Georgia for another round of phage. I decided not to. I think phage a ways to go before it is successful for chronic UTI strictly based on my personal experience.

    Once I finished the phage, I developed a full blown UTI (chills, fever, shaking, and nausea), the first in a long time. Culture showed the only thing that was effective was Cipro. So I did a round of Cipro and decided to change my preventative strategy once I finished the Cipro.

    I am now taking a total of 4 grams of Methenamine (used this years ago with good results) daily. Since my culture always shows +E. Coli, I ordered in a 500mg pill form of D-Mannose with a 95%+ rating from Amazon that I take 3x a day (never really used D-Mannose regularly). Lastly, I irrigate my urethra with Vetericyn VF Plus to keep from pushing bacteria back into my bladder when I intermittent cath.

    I have been crystal clear for almost 2 weeks now, a record for me. Time will tell.
    Thanks for the update on your experiment. Sorry that things didn't work out as you would have liked. All of keep searching for the right answer.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    Bacteriophage effectiveness stopped being effective. I spoke with someone at Phage International about my experience and only then did I learn more about this treatment.

    You can only use it for 10 days max since the human body generates an immune response to any virus in a short period of time. The claims bacteriophage can eliminate the targeted bacteria and eradicate the biofilm did not pan out based on my experience. I was extremely disheartened and disappointed. I was told to send another urine sample to the Republic of Georgia for another round of phage. I decided not to. I think phage a ways to go before it is successful for chronic UTI strictly based on my personal experience.

    Once I finished the phage, I developed a full blown UTI (chills, fever, shaking, and nausea), the first in a long time. Culture showed the only thing that was effective was Cipro. So I did a round of Cipro and decided to change my preventative strategy once I finished the Cipro.

    I am now taking a total of 4 grams of Methenamine (used this years ago with good results) daily. Since my culture always shows +E. Coli, I ordered in a 500mg pill form of D-Mannose with a 95%+ rating from Amazon that I take 3x a day (never really used D-Mannose regularly). Lastly, I irrigate my urethra with Vetericyn VF Plus to keep from pushing bacteria back into my bladder when I intermittent cath.

    I have been crystal clear for almost 2 weeks now, a record for me. Time will tell.
    thanks for the update, I'm glad you found something that's working for you. Very disheartened to hear the phage was ineffective. Great to hear you have a oral antibiotic that is effective in Cipro. I have resistant Pseudomonas, no oral antibiotics left, and have already been through gentamicin, tobramycin, and amikacin irrigating my bladder. I think the d-mannose will be very beneficial to you, I wish you all the best. I've been using vetericyn VF as well, 60 mL, three times a day and keeping it in for 45 min. each time. I have seen some results. Keep us informed.

  10. #20
    The Phage therapy was disappointing and it seems quite expensive. Hopefully, as it progresses, it will get better results.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •