Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacteriophage

Bacteriophage

hello friends I would like to know if any of you know a website that sells bacteriophage and sends them I live in France
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 05-22-2019 at 03:15 AM.
    JustaDollarPlease.org

I just spent several thousands of dollars on this for E- Coli. The E. Coli got worse. Taken orally as prescribed, this has not worked. The Phage Therapy Center (PTC) indicated in an email PYO Bacteriophage is effective against E-Coli.

I sent them my urine, they did the analysis, made the recommendation, and I paid quite a bit to get it to me.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 05-27-2019 at 10:28 AM.

My Personal Experience with Bacteriophage Therapy

My objective is to share my personal experience with Bactriophage therapy to treat a specific long-term, chronic pathogen. I suffer from antibiotic resistant, embedded, bladder bacteria/colonization.

I have been a paraplegic since 2002, T4 injury level and intermittent cath. My bladder has not been augmented. Like many SCI's, I have been plagued with numerous full scale UTI's (fever, chills, malaise) through the years. Over time, my bladder has become embedded (often refereed to as biofilm) with bacteria, in my case E.Coli Escherichia. Shortly after a round of antibiotics, the E.Coli would consistently reemerge. My life for the past several years has become the management of this recurrent colonization in an attempt to avoid a UTI. I have been prescribed hundreds of antibiotics up to this point.

According to my Doctor, I have run out of options for oral antibiotics and my only option now is to step up to IV antibiotics. I have also tried virtually everything over the counter imaginable, with little to no success, so I began searching for alternatives.

This led me to study Bacteriophage therapy. From a scientific perspective, this seemed plausible. Therefore, I contacted the Phage Therapy Center (PTC) via email, in Tbilisi, Georgia. PTC requested I submit a urine specimen to their lab for analysis. By the way, sending a urine specimen to the other side of the globe is not as easy as it may seem.

The culture tested positive for E. Coli with concentrations >100,000 CFU's, or Colony Forming Units. PTC indicated the treatment protocol was PYO Bacteriophage. I made arrangements to have access to this therapy, however I did not travel to Tbilisi, Georgia.

Once received, there were no instructions in English on how to administer the product. I sent an email to PTC and they instructed me to take 2 x 10 ML vails, 2 x a day (morning and late evening) orally. After 3 weeks my symptoms worsened. Needless to say, I was not happy, having spent a considerable amount of money so far. I sent PTC an email indicating the therapy was not working and that I was not pleased. They had always answered previous emails, but this one was never answered.

Therefore, I began to research the internet and found positive results had been obtained in numerous research studies when the Phage was instilled directly into the bladder. I began this protocol, basically doing what I had done orally (2 x 10ML, 2 x a day), but instead, instilling this solution undiluted directly into the bladder. This was done immediately after catherization. Hold times started at 45 minutes for the first 2 days, and I gradually increased this to 3 hours on subsequent days since no adverse effects had been experienced to this point.

Before installation, my urine was extremely cloudy, was mostly pale yellow/white in color, exhibited large flakes and had an off odor, typical of bacteria laden symptoms. I noticed no improvement on day 1. On day 2, my urine was actually looking much worse, was even more cloudy, and loaded with sediment and small clumps of mucous. At this point, I was about ready to give up and revert to the IV antibiotics.

Then on day 3, my urine cleared up dramatically, not perfect, but a solid 80-85% improvement. On day 4, my urine was crystal clear, no sediment, no mucous, and exhibited what I call a semi-sweet odor, typical of normal urine. My urine has remained clear and normal so far. I plan on continuing the Phage therapy for 14 continuous days. Then I will revert to a maintenance program (that will not use Phage) and monitor how far I can go w/o an episode.

As I understand, Adaptive Phage Therapeutics (ADP) in the USA, has started clinical trials for chronic bladder colonization in the Bronx, NY, and Palo Alto, CA. ADP indicates on their website Phage can eradicate bacteria, and just as importantly, has demonstrated Phage can disrupt the biofilm, which is one of the primary causes of re-infection.

I would like to note there have been absolutely no adverse effects observed with my use of the Phage, my digestive tract has not been affected in any way whatsoever, nor has my bowel program been affected in any way. Lately, the antibiotics I have been taking have wrecked absolute havoc on my body. In summation, based on my observations, the Phage appears to have only targeted the E.Coli in my bladder.

I must stress this is not a recommendation of Phage therapy, nor I am suggesting any type of treatment protocol for use and administration. I am simply conveying my observations and tentative results in lieu of a urine C&S.

I will take a urine specimen to my local Primary Care Doctor in the next few days for a C&S and report on the findings to verify whether the bacterial concentrations have actually been reduced.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 05-26-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    My objective is to share my personal experience with Bactriophage therapy to treat a specific long-term, chronic pathogen. I suffer from antibiotic resistant, embedded, bladder bacteria/colonization.

I have been a paraplegic since 2002, T4 injury level and intermittent cath. My bladder has not been augmented. Like many SCI's, I have been plagued with numerous full scale UTI's (fever, chills, malaise) through the years. Over time, my bladder has become embedded (often refereed to as biofilm) with bacteria, in my case E.Coli Escherichia. Shortly after a round of antibiotics, the E.Coli would consistently reemerge. My life for the past several years has become the management of this recurrent colonization in an attempt to avoid a UTI. I have been prescribed hundreds of antibiotics up to this point.

According to my Doctor, I have run out of options for oral antibiotics and my only option now is to step up to IV antibiotics. I have also tried virtually everything over the counter imaginable, with little to no success, so I began searching for alternatives.

This led me to study Bacteriophage therapy. From a scientific perspective, this seemed plausible. Therefore, I contacted the Phage Therapy Center (PTC) via email, in Tbilisi, Georgia. PTC requested I submit a urine specimen to their lab for analysis. By the way, sending a urine specimen to the other side of the globe is not as easy as it may seem.

The culture tested positive for E. Coli with concentrations >100,000 CFU's, or Colony Forming Units. PTC indicated the treatment protocol was PYO Bacteriophage. I made arrangements to have access to this therapy, however I did not travel to Tbilisi, Georgia.

Once received, there were no instructions in English on how to administer the product. I sent an email to PTC and they instructed me to take 2 x 10 ML vails, 2 x a day (morning and late evening) orally. After 3 weeks my symptoms worsened. Needless to say, I was not happy, having spent a considerable amount of money so far. I sent PTC an email indicating the therapy was not working and that I was not pleased. They had always answered previous emails, but this one was never answered.

Therefore, I began to research the internet and found positive results had been obtained in numerous research studies when the Phage was instilled directly into the bladder. I began this protocol, basically doing what I had done orally (2 x 10ML, 2 x a day), but instead, instilling this solution undiluted directly into the bladder. This was done immediately after catherization. Hold times started at 45 minutes for the first 2 days, and I gradually increased this to 3 hours on subsequent days since no adverse effects had been experienced to this point.

Before installation, my urine was extremely cloudy, was mostly pale yellow/white in color, exhibited large flakes and had an off odor, typical of bacteria laden symptoms. I noticed no improvement on day 1. On day 2, my urine was actually looking much worse, was even more cloudy, and loaded with sediment and small clumps of mucous. At this point, I was about ready to give up and revert to the IV antibiotics.

Then on day 3, my urine cleared up dramatically, not perfect, but a solid 80-85% improvement. On day 4, my urine was crystal clear, no sediment, no mucous, and exhibited what I call a semi-sweet odor, typical of normal urine. My urine has remained clear and normal so far. I plan on continuing the Phage therapy for 14 continuous days. Then I will revert to a maintenance program (that will not use Phage) and monitor how far I can go w/o an episode.

As I understand, Adaptive Phage Therapeutics (ADP) in the USA, has started clinical trials for chronic bladder colonization in the Bronx, NY, and Palo Alto, CA. ADP indicates on their website Phage can eradicate bacteria, and just as importantly, has demonstrated Phage can disrupt the biofilm, which is one of the primary causes of re-infection.

I would like to note there have been absolutely no adverse effects observed with my use of the Phage, my digestive tract has not been affected in any way whatsoever, nor has my bowel program been affected in any way. Lately, the antibiotics I have been taking have wrecked absolute havoc on my body. In summation, based on my observations, the Phage appears to have only targeted the E.Coli in my bladder.

I must stress this is not a recommendation of Phage therapy, nor I am suggesting any type of treatment protocol for use and administration. I am simply conveying my observations and tentative results in lieu of a urine C&S.

I will take a urine specimen to my local Primary Care Doctor in the next few days for a C&S and report on the findings to verify whether the bacterial concentrations have actually been reduced.
    I am absolutely fascinated by this post. I read of that company in Georgia, several years ago, I knew there would be no way I could get there. I never imagined they did things through the mail. I'm in Massachusetts, and could possibly get to New York. I've been injured 33 years (C4) and have battled a very resistant Pseudomonas infection for probably 25 years. Please let us know how you make out. I'm starting a new protocol today, and believe me over the years I have spent endless thousands battling disinfection trying to stay alive. Every time I see an ID Dr. they are shocked. I'm sitting in front of them. What you're doing, is probably the only thing I haven't tried yet. Good luck and thanks!

shamrock88,

Congrats on living through SCI hell for 33 years.

Bacteriophage research started in the 1930's. I have been informed that the Phage Therapy Center ships over 1 ton (by weight) of phages monthly with one of their largest customers being Russia. Russia has used this to treat their military personnel for many years.

I must stress the Phage is not approved for use in the USA. However, it can be legally shipped to a Canadian citizen (as well as many other parts of the world). Phage cannot be used commercially in Canada, so you cannot get it from a Physician in Canada, or be treated by a health care provider in Canada.

My fear is many will die before this becomes available in the USA. I am convinced, based on my experience, there is a viable and effective alternative to the mass antibiotic madness. And I am a skeptic by nature.

My long term plan is to have my urine monitored on a regular basis, and obtain the appropriate Phage to eradicate the specific pathogen as needed. I hope I can finally be free from the negative effects of prolonged antibiotic use. I sincerely wish this for others as well.

Lastly, for now my urine is perfect; clear, clean, and with a normal odor. The results to this point are miraculous.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 05-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Schmeky,
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences of Phage therapy. I’m in discussions with the Phage Therapy Centre regarding the shipment of potential treatments to the UK. May I ask how much you paid to have your treatment shipped to you?

Kind regards,
    Ruth.

shamrock88,

Bacteriophage research started in the 1930's. I have been informed that the Phage Therapy Center ships over 1 ton (by weight) of phages monthly with one of their largest customers being Russia. Russia has used this to treat their military personnel for many years.

I must stress the Phage is not approved for use in the USA. However, it can be legally shipped to a Canadian citizen (as well as many other parts of the world). Phage cannot be used commercially in Canada, so you cannot get it from a Physician in Canada, or be treated by a health care provider in Canada.

My fear is many will die before this becomes available in the USA. I am convinced, based on my experience, there is a viable and effective alternative to the mass antibiotic madness. And I am a skeptic by nature.

My long term plan is to have my urine monitored on a regular basis, and obtain the appropriate Phage to eradicate the specific pathogen as needed. I hope I can finally be free from the negative effects of prolonged antibiotic use. I sincerely wish this for others as well.

Lastly, for now my urine is perfect; clear, clean, and with a normal odor. The results to this point are miraculous.
    thanks for your post, I'm definitely intrigued and interested with your results. Are you saying they cannot ship the product directly to you? I don't know any Canadian citizens. You said your dose was twice a day. I believe, how many days therapy Do they send you? Please keep me posted, and all the best of luck to you. Thanks!

Tayberry,

I was invoiced for 32 packages (there are 5 vials per package) of PYO Bacteriophage at $1,440.00 USD, total. The shipping for the phage was $250.00 USD, via Fedex.

My urine culture was $200.00 USD and it cost me $320.00 USD to send the urine specimen from the USA to Georgia via Fedex.

Shamrock88,

I am not using it as they originally instructed.

Hi Schmeky,

The Phage Therapy Center website https://www.phagetherapycenter.com/p...nd=static_home says:

? Treatment in the USA, where treatment with our phage medication is performed under the supervision of your doctor. As the medical use of phages is not yet FDA approved, the treatment can be performed only with a written consent of you and your doctor. (FDA Regulatory Procedures Manual; Chapter 9: Import Operations And Actions).

Are you working with a doctor in the United States? Was a doctor's signature required? If you are working with a physician, what was his reaction? What kind of documentation did you have to sign?

How long do you expect 160 vials to last? How many cc per vial? How many vials do you use per day? Do you plan to use all of the vials, even if your urine analysis shows no bacteria? How long do you expect you will have to take this phage? Do you anticipate having to do a maintenance routine? If so, how often/how long?

If you should become colonized or get an a urinary tract infection caused by a bacteria other than e coli, will you be able to take the phage you have? Seems as though you would have to start the process again and purchase a different phage.

Thanks
    GJ

shamrock88,

good for you, I have been thinking about this a good part of the day. Good for you for taking your health and well-being in your own hands. I know exactly where you stand, I've been dealing with it long time myself. Not E. coli, but Pseudomonas, and I've been dealing with it for over 25 years. My Pseudomonas is resistant to all oral antibiotics, and has been for probably the last 10 years. Three times I've had to get extended IV treatment, which was quite brutal, as I'm sure you know. I myself just started a protocol yesterday, and quite frankly, I wish I had known about what you are doing earlier. I wish you all the luck in the world.