Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacteriophage

GJ,

I took matters into my own hands since I was suffering severe reactions to the heavy antibiotic regime my Urologist was continuously subjecting me to. I was actually getting worse under my Uro's care. I won't elaborate on just how bad I had gotten.

The phage therapy is being done on the advisement and recommendation of the Phage Therapy Center. Hopefully I should be able to answer some of your questions over time.

Bacteria over a long time frame, can become Phage resistant, but in doing so, the bacteria looses it's ability to resist antibiotics. So the bacteria reverts to it's pre-antibiotic resistance state (according to USA based Adaptive Phage Therapeutics research).

If another bacteria emerges, there should be a Phage to address it, since the most common for me has been Enterococcus and E.coli, with E.coli being dominate. PTC offers an off the shelf single Phage that will address both Enterococcus and E.coli simultaneously. The Phage Therapy Center can also custom tailor a Phage "cocktail" that can target multiple pathogens since I have inquired about this previously.

If the Phage does in fact eradicate the resistant pathogen strain, and eliminate the supporting biofilm (as Adaptive Phage Therapeutics has reported based on their lab research), then theoretically, I should be able to transition into a maintenance phase using something like Methenamine, that I have used successfully in the past.

It's to early to answer some of your questions definitively.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 05-27-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    GJ,

I took matters into my own hands since I was suffering severe reactions to the heavy antibiotic regime my Urologist was continuously subjecting me to. I was actually getting worse under my Uro's care. I won't elaborate on just how bad I had gotten.

The phage therapy is being done on the advisement and recommendation of the Phage Therapy Center. I will be able to answer some of your questions over time. Bacteria can over an extended time frame, become Phage resistant, but in doing so, the bacterial looses it ability to resist antibiotics. So the bacteria reverts to it's pre-resistance state.

If another bacteria emerges, there should be a Phage to address it, since the most common for me has been Enterococcus and E.coli, with E.coli being dominate. There is a single Phage that will address both Enterococcus and E.coli simultaneously. The Phage Therapy Center can also custom tailor a Phage "cocktail" that can target multiple pathogens since I have inquired about this previously.
    Thanks for your response. The statement on their website that I quoted just made it seem that they were pretty insistent on have a doctor's involvement for their "distance" patients.

GJ,

The phage therapy is being done on the advisement and recommendation of the Phage Therapy Center. I will be able to answer some of your questions over time. Bacteria can over an extended time frame, become Phage resistant, but in doing so, the bacterial looses it ability to resist antibiotics. So the bacteria reverts to it's pre-resistance state.

If another bacteria emerges, there should be a Phage to address it, since the most common for me has been Enterococcus and E.coli, with E.coli being dominate. There is a single Phage that will address both Enterococcus and E.coli simultaneously. The Phage Therapy Center can also custom tailor a Phage "cocktail" that can target multiple pathogens since I have inquired about this previously.
    I get Enterococcus as well as a secondary infection, with Pseudomonas by far being the dominant infection. Most of the time the enterococcus infection I get can be cleared with macrobid. Can I ask… Did you say initially were you supposed to drink the vials before you started to instill them in your bladder? For years, many years I have been doing bladder irrigations with first gentamicin until it was resistant, and then tobramycin, and now finally amikacin.

shamrock88,

As my initial post indicated, PTC recommended I take 2 x 10ML vials, twice daily (one treatment in the morning and one treatment in the evening, total of 40 ML in 24 hours). This would equate to a 40 day treatment protocol since I received 160, 10ML vials.

I am presently taking 1 x 10ML vial, twice daily via direct installation (total of 20 ML in 24 hours).

My goal is to see if I can be antibiotic free for an extended, if not permanent time frame.

[QUOTE=Schmeky;1879219]Tayberry,

I was invoiced for 32 packages (there are 5 vials per package) of PYO Bacteriophage at $1,440.00 USD, total. The shipping for the phage was $250.00 USD, via Fedex.

My urine culture was $200.00 USD and it cost me $320.00 USD to send the urine specimen from the USA to Georgia via Fedex.

Many thanks for sharing this information.

shamrock88,

As my initial post indicated, PTC recommended I take 2 x 10ML vials, twice daily (one treatment in the morning and one treatment in the evening, total of 40 ML in 24 hours). This would equate to a 40 day treatment protocol since I received 160, 10ML vials.

I am presently taking 1 x 10ML vial, twice daily via direct installation (total of 20 ML in 24 hours).

My goal is to see if I can be antibiotic free for an extended, if not permanent time frame.
    just checking in seeing out you were progressing, hope it's going well. Give us an update If you can when able.