Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FES users - Are you still riding?

FES users - Are you still riding?

Yes, this post more aptly belongs in the Exercise and Recovery forum, but that space seems kind of moribund.

Over 11 years ago I was given a StimMaster Galaxy FES bike (a donation from the widow whose husband was SCI). I used it pretty regularly though there were long stretches of inactivity. The StimMaster -- like the ERGYS (anyone remember those? The company's manufacturer, Therapeutic Alliances, Inc., still has an active, though ancient-looking website but it's last copyright date is 2012. I haven't heard anything about them in years and had to jog my memory to remember their name) -- was a real estate-hogging behemoth. When I moved from NYC to LA, I left the StimMaster behind and ultimately bought a second-hand RT-300 (not a donation, but the seller was also an SCI widow -- hmm), which I have used inconsistently.

The purpose of this post is to get a sense of the current relative interest in FES biking and for those who own one, to find out whether you're using it. It takes considerable commitment to use one regularly. I imagine that newer injuries, fueled by good intention, are the group most motivated to buy an FES bike. I'm 35 years post, so I kind of aged out of the newbie club. Anyway, seeing as my mortal coil is resisting shuffling off, I'm trying to re-commit to riding. God, I've been at this SCI thing for a godforsaken long time. Since the middle of Reagan's first term.

i have the rti 300 and ride it im 18 years post t-10 complete para your right on the commitment part ill ride mine at night while watching tv
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I've had my FES bike for about 4 years up until last year was averaging about 4500 miles a year. Got a pressure sore last July which seems to have been caused by bike, my right hip is being pulled forward as I ride, hip seems to rotate and we can't stop it. Had to stop all riding as the sore wouldn't heal. Just about fixed but big dilemma as to whether to ride. I've lost a lot of muscle off legs and butt, really need to rebuild but not if friction causes the sore to break. Mentally I miss riding, C3 complete so no other way to exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I've had my FES bike for about 4 years up until last year was averaging about 4500 miles a year. Got a pressure sore last July which seems to have been caused by bike, my right hip is being pulled forward as I ride, hip seems to rotate and we can't stop it. Had to stop all riding as the sore wouldn't heal. Just about fixed but big dilemma as to whether to ride. I've lost a lot of muscle off legs and butt, really need to rebuild but not if friction causes the sore to break. Mentally I miss riding, C3 complete so no other way to exercise.
    Sorry to hear about the pressure sore. That bites, especially considering that one of the presumed benefits of riding is pressure sore prevention. Did it come on suddenly? Based on your annual miles it would appear that you were riding close to every day. What bike are you riding?

RT300 FES bike. And yes, 6 days a week for about 90 minutes I was always near the top of the FES Strava group. I've always struggled with pressure sores but only made the connection last year when I noticed how much I moved around. Scared to go back to riding in case ischial gets damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    RT300 FES bike. And yes, 6 days a week for about 90 minutes I was always near the top of the FES Strava group. I've always struggled with pressure sores but only made the connection last year when I noticed how much I moved around. Scared to go back to riding in case ischial gets damaged.
    I have a riding machine that aggravates pain in my left lower leg and foot due to some hip rotation. When I limit riding to 10 minute periods, 2/day, I do ok. When I go for 20 minutes at full speed the pain is reactivated. It's frustrating but no choice except live with the limitation. I hope you find you can test out riding a little, mrb.

I still ride my Ergys2. Its clunky, not sure if I could find any spare parts for it anymore.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    rti 300..... fallen off the wagon.
    When I first got it I would ride it twice a week for 90 minutes religiously.
    I never figured out how to put the pads on myself, so relying on assistance to put the pads on became my biggest handicap!

Really need to motivate myself to get back into it, my body responded well to the estim.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    rti 300..... fallen off the wagon.
    When I first got it I would ride it twice a week for 90 minutes religiously.
    I never figured out how to put the pads on myself, so relying on assistance to put the pads on became my biggest handicap!

Really need to motivate myself to get back into it, my body responded well to the estim.

What specifically was your difficulty in putting on the pads? I might be able to help you with that.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Putting the pads on my gluts butt, getting correct placement. then pulling my pants over them. I would try and put them on, on the bed and then transfer back to the chair. 50% of the time I tried to do it myself and then hooked myself up the machine, the machine would tell my my glut pad was off etc.. so I'd have to do it all again.. which became way too frustrating.

So all ears for some tips.