Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measles?!

NL told me about her and her brother's experience with measles and chicken pox. NL had measles followed by chicken pox. She was sick for about a month. Worse yet, just as she was recovering and feeling better, her brother who was probably exposed to these diseases by her and his classmates, woke up suffering a sky high temperature and signs of both chicken pox and measles. In the 1950s parents (at least hers didn't) didn't run to the emergency room, health insurance wasn't very common, doctors made house calls, and people who were as poor as she remembers they were tried their best to take care of their own. She remembers her mother giving her brother ice baths to reduce the fever and oatmeal baths and homemade aloe gel rubs to reduce the itching. Somehow they survived, but as she recalls, she thought her brother might not make it.

But somehow when we were kids, having these diseases was like a right of passage. Today...scary stuff.

I came down with measles about 4 years after my injury some 40 years ago and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. I was really sick. Probably would be even worse now. I got the shingles vaccination after a friend came down with some kind of neuralgia complications following shingles - pain that never goes away for him.

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    I came down with measles about 4 years after my injury some 40 years ago and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. I was really sick. Probably would be even worse now. I got the shingles vaccination after a friend came down with some kind of neuralgia complications following shingles - pain that never goes away for him.
    Yes, post-herpatic neuropathy can be a horrible chronic pain condition. My father also suffered from this for the last 15 years of his life after having the shingles.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.