My 3.5 year old son has an overactive bladder and leaks in between caths (cath 4x a day). He has a grade 3 reflux into left kidney, though they said this is okay (ultrasound shows kidneys are fine). He can hold up to 120ml, which they think is normal-ish for his age and size, but he will leak in between. If I cath him now, without medication he can hold it dry for about 1 to 1.5 hours.

It has been suggested we start him on a 10mg dose of Oxybutynin and to inject it into the bladder with 15ml of saline solution once a day - through his cath.

I am worried about the cognitive side-effects since he is so little, but I do not know of other medications that I should explore. It is unfortunate that there is so little research into the effects on the pediatric pop. but I realize there is some discussion and studies in the older pop.

I know there is another that they mentioned that I dismissed because it has issues with BP from what they said. We arn't 100% sure but he may have AD episodes and I do not want to risk it right now.

Botox is an option in the future - currently they would have to put him under (general) and there is research this can also cause cognitive issues so it is not something I want repeated every 4-6 months.

Any suggestions of other things I should look at?