Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60 Minutes: New medical trial could ?cure spinal cord injuries in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    How soon this therapy can be available publicly for patients from the globe? How much sure this will work in chronic lumbar injury patients too?
    As reported before, Thailand sells pain stimulators at a high cost but nobody is hearing overwhelming numbers of patient satisfaction with placements or outcomes. Without completed trials and more devices being made available, it's unknown which level of injury will have the most efficacy or if your cauda equina injury would improve. Human trials are currently underway in several countries. Nobody can accurately guess the answers to those two questions.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-18-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Holy sh*i. Dude actually walked without holding on to parallel bars.

I can't watch this right now as I'm totally swamped with work, but what was this guy's injury level and classification (ASIA preferred) before he walked without parallel bars?
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I can't watch this right now as I'm totally swamped with work, but what was this guy's injury level and classification (ASIA preferred) before he walked without parallel bars?
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1031141523.htm

David's and two other peoples story was reported well over a year ago. (He was in the STIMO trial and still works out every day). I haven't heard his particular level of injury but this was the criteria for that trial in Switzerland.

Criteria
    Inclusion Criteria:

• Age 18-65 (women or men)
    • Incomplete SCI graded as AIS C & D
    • Level of lesion: T10 and above, based on AIS level determination by the PI, with preservation of conus function
    • The intact distance between the cone and the lesion must be at least 60mm
    • Focal spinal cord disorder caused by either trauma or epidural, subdural or intramedullary bleeding
    • Minimum 12 months post-injury
    • Completed in-patient rehabilitation program
    • Able to stand with walker or 2 crutches
    • Stable medical and physical condition as considered by Investigators
    • Adequate care-giver support and access to appropriate medical care in patient's home community
    • Agree to comply in good faith with all conditions of the study and to attend all required study training and visits
    • Must participate in two training sessions before enrolment
    • Must provide and sign Informed Consent prior to any study related procedures

Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-18-2019 at 07:15 PM.

This is why I absolutely hate these sensationalized reports that are really marketing pieces. Able to stand without a walker or 2 crutches and ASIA C/D is definitely not "curing spinal cord injuries" in any way. It's augmenting preserved function. To stand you need to be able to fire your quads and glutes at a bare minimum. So there is already preserved function in the muscles that will be trained to "walk" a few steps.

Nonetheless, the headlines will propagate and a couple dozen friends will excitedly email me this story about how I will soon be able to walk again.

Edit: For incompletes this is definitely exciting and I shouldn't have poo poo'd that aspect of it. I would like to see every single incomplete have access to both the trancutaneous stimulator and the implanted. Anything any of us gets back is a win in my book.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Edit: For incompletes this is definitely exciting and I shouldn't have poo poo'd that aspect of it. I would like to see every single incomplete have access to both the trancutaneous stimulator and the implanted. Anything any of us gets back is a win in my book.
    Yes. The essence of the story is about Professor Bryce Vissel of Australia hoping to have the funding to bring SCI trials and SCI treatments to his country within 5 years at their new research center to include electrical stimulation and exercise for it's citizens.

(People do get easily sidetracked on early patient trial stories out of a couple different labs and cure timeline issues. But the vision of creating the worlds best SCI research center will require millions in funding and publicity to get it done in Australia and that's what the 60 Minute piece was about.)

A new Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine is being established in the Faculty of Science . They announced in 2016 or so that they were getting assistance from Dr. Reggie Edgerton. Subject to securing funding, UTS will roll out their neurostimulation programs with combined exercise for patients across Australia within five years. UTS is working with SpinalCure Australia (SpinalCure) and Spinal Cord Injuries Australia (SCIA) to support this focus integrated research. Their funding effort to make this happen for Australia is called"Project Edge". They hope to make it the worlds best SCI research center.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-21-2019 at 09:26 AM.