Thread: I am new on suprapubic catheter

I am new on suprapubic catheter

Hello to all,

I am C4C5 quadriplegic. 10 days back, the suprapubic catheter has been put on me. After a few days of surgery, I've got some irritation, and body spasm has also increased. A few times, I've got a headache and sweating.
    I flashed my catheter to clear any catheter blockage, but nothing much changed. Then, I visited my urologist. He has changed my catheter and has written certain medications.
    He has said that everything is fine, and headache and sweating are not due to suprapubic catheter. Since then, headache has gone, but whenever I sit in a wheelchair, I swept.
    My bowel routine is going well, and I do not get any redness or pressure while sitting. Why do I sweat while sitting?
    Could it be due to the suprapubic catheter?
    Is it possible that my body isn't responding well to the suprapubic catheter?
    Please suggest

Thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Dubai View Post
    Hello to all,

I am C4C5 quadriplegic. 10 days back, the suprapubic catheter has been put on me. After a few days of surgery, I've got some irritation, and body spasm has also increased. A few times, I've got a headache and sweating.
    I flashed my catheter to clear any catheter blockage, but nothing much changed. Then, I visited my urologist. He has changed my catheter and has written certain medications.
    He has said that everything is fine, and headache and sweating are not due to suprapubic catheter. Since then, headache has gone, but whenever I sit in a wheelchair, I swept.
    My bowel routine is going well, and I do not get any redness or pressure while sitting. Why do I sweat while sitting?
    Could it be due to the suprapubic catheter?
    Is it possible that my body isn't responding well to the suprapubic catheter?
    Please suggest

Thanks and regards
    Ten days is a very short time after placement of the supra pubic catheter. As I recall, my first catheter change after the surgery was about 30 days. It is going to take some time for the insertion site to heal and the stoma channel to form. And you could expect to have soreness and tenderness in that area if you could feel it. During the healing process you could have some lymph from the stoma that dries and can cause some tugging. You may experience some sweating and headache, symptoms of autonomia because of this kind of stimulus below your level of injury.

The catheter needs to be stabilized to keep it from moving in and out of the stoma, sometimes called "pistoning," that also can cause irritation and the reaction you are experiencing. You can either tape the catheter to your belly and/or leg or use a stabilizing device. There are several types and brands of devices available. Search urinary catheter stabilization device for more choices.

You mentioned that your doctor prescribed some medications. Did he prescribe an anticholinergic like Oxybutynin? You likely will need to take a low dose of these anti spasm medications while you have the supra pubic catheter.

What kind of catheter was placed? If it is latex and you have any sensitivity to latex, that may be an irritant.

What size catheter was placed? Hopefully, your doctor placed a 16Fr catheter. If it is much larger than that, the stiffness of a large catheter combined with the stoma trying to heal can cause irritation and produce the symptoms you are experiencing.

Have you checked your clothing? Maybe clothing is creating pressure on the site.

Stabilization Device:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks gjnl for Reply…

I am going to wait for 30 days. At the area around the catheter, a wound like condition is visible. Dr. has suggested me to clean it twice a day, but not to cover it through any type of dressing.

I have already taking Solifenacin 5 mg[OD], and Mirabegron 25 MG [OD]. He has added Flavoxate 200 MG [TDS].

The catheter number is 16f. It is the silicon catheter. I Stabilize the catheter at my thigh through a strap or paper tap. My irritation, spasm, and headache have gone down. Today, I was sweating while sitting. I took one paracetamol and I've got some relief. At this stage, I should clamp the catheter or let it flow throughout the day.

I will place the photograph in evenings…

Thanks again... love and regards

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Dubai View Post
    Thanks gjnl for Reply…

I am going to wait for 30 days. At the area around the catheter, a wound like condition is visible. Dr. has suggested me to clean it twice a day, but not to cover it through any type of dressing.

I have already taking Solifenacin 5 mg[OD], and Mirabegron 25 MG [OD]. He has added Flavoxate 200 MG [TDS].

The catheter number is 16f. It is the silicon catheter. I Stabilize the catheter at my thigh through a strap or paper tap. My irritation, spasm, and headache have gone down. Today, I was sweating while sitting. I took one paracetamol and I've got some relief. At this stage, I should clamp the catheter or let it flow throughout the day.

I will place the photograph in evenings…

Thanks again... love and regards
    I'm surprised you are taking three different anticholinergic medications. Possibly your doctor feels they all work a bit differently, I don't know. Hope you aren't suffering with dry mouth as a side effect.

Clamping the catheter isn't recommended unless you have sensation to know when your bladder needs to be emptied or your supra pubic catheter is temporary and you are trying to preserve bladder capacity.

Thanks a lot…
    I will discuss this with my doctor.
    It was very helpful.

Love and regards