Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a used Stricker handbike. I have a few questions.

Just got a used Stricker handbike. I have a few questions.

I picked up a used Stricker handbike recently. I think it could use some work/replacement parts, but I'm not sure where to begin. I haven't been able to identify the exact model of the unit, either. I'm attaching a picture of the handbike to this thread. Maybe one of you can help me figure out the model. The pin in the automatic catch (part identified using http://www.stricker-handbikes.com/im...rtsCatalog.pdf and circled in the pictures) on one side will not retract when the handbike is attached to my wheelchair. I think this is preventing me from easily loosening the clamp on one side and removing the handbike. I might need to replace the tire as well because I'm not getting great traction, especially on loose terrain. Anyone know where I might find these and other parts? Any tips on how I can get that pin moving again?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ABQwheelin; 04-14-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Did you do the necessary adjustments to fit your chair? Sounds more like and adjustment issue. When you say it won't retract when attached to the bike; you're meaning the front wheel is still on the ground while trying to locket in? If it retracts okay unattached the adjustment bolt on the bracket needs adjusting. The manual has a section on adjusting the brackets.

For the skipping, it's inherent. Sounds like your bike may be too short. The longer the wheelbase the more weight goes on the front wheel. It's a drag starting up in loose gravel. A more aggressive tire would help in looser gravel but would be a rougher ride on smooth roads and more effort to keep up the momentum.. Make sure the tire will fit the space between the top of tire and bottom of fork. Stricker has weights that can be added to the front fork for more traction. I'm not sure if your model can take them.

If this is your first handcycle. Setup is primary. Tweaking a bike now and then is part of maintenance so get a torque wrench, hex set and tools to fit.

For parts, go thru John at Bike-on. A man we all trust and know all about the Stricker. I'm sure he'll post here.

Congrats on the new bike! I've been riding 44 years and recently added the Stricker Lipo to offset my recumbent. This by far, is the most efficient attachable handcyle I've ridden. Remember you're sitting high center so take it easy going around the corners.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-14-2019 at 01:32 AM.

THX PAT.

to OP, initial setup is key on strickers. watch their setup vid, follow it to the t, when good there is an entire page in the manual with torque settings, i CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH the importance of using a torque wrench on the main bolts and torque to manuals spec, if not it will slip. done right and torqued to spec you will rarely need to adjust anything. my email is in my sig, i am the stricker distributor/dealer for north america, reach out to me any time. i absolutely love my Strickers, i put about 1600 mi per summer on mine, great cross training tool.
    setup vid
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Looks like a city bike 8 speed. http://stricker-handbikes.de/en/prod...es/city-detail And John is your go to guy on parts and advice as well as Pat. I do not know of anyone here with more cycling experience than Pat. He seems very mechanically inclined and with all the years if cycling we are lucky to have him here. What kind of chair are you attaching it to? As Pat said the further apart your front and back wheels are the better traction you will have. Will you take a picture of the other side as well. Also look at the smaller picture the pin that pops out should make contact with the metal but it looks like at some point where it should make contact the metal has been bent back and This may be the problem look at part 33 and you will see how that should look. When you pull that back when you are getting ready to take the attachment off I think that pushes in on the pin as you push forward on the top of the attachment to release it. I hope I am explaining this clearly enough. It looks like someone bent the top of that out and the pin no longer makes contact with it.

You see how mine is pushing the pin in? I at least assume that is the function of that part.
    Last edited by djrolling; 04-14-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Thank you, all. It looks like I did a bad job getting the bike set up. I originally attempted to follow the video fuentejps posted, but did not do anything to account for specific torques. I will look into getting a torque wrench and hex bit socket set instead of just relying on my old fashioned hex key set. It looks like the (owners) manual you mentioned is located here: http://www.stricker-handbikes.de/dat...al_English.pdf. If that is correct, the manual calls for torques ranging between 1N/m and 35N/m. I found two ways to meet these torque requirements: (1) one digital torque wrench, or (2) a combination of mechanical torque wrenches. I'd prefer to keep the number of tools to a minimum, but I think I would prefer mechanical tools (no batteries, possibly more reliable). Will either of the following options work to complete these adjustments? Do you know of a better option (possibly more direct mechanical option)?

Option 1 Digital ($99.00):
    3/8" drive torque wrench & socket combo $99.00 (3-85 N/m)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784QCZK3/ref=emc_b_5_t

Option 2 Mechanical combo (total $95.10):
    1/4" drive torque wrench & socket combo $45.95 (2-24 N/m):
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00811WQT8...d_i=B00811WQT8

3/8" drive hex key socket set $11.15:
    https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-EVO...8GS3B6YQ66SGZZ

3/8" drive torque wrench $38 (13.6-108.5 N/m):
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24330-...8TBEX63C9FB33E

Option 1 looks the best. Longer handle and seems to have better quality hex set. Cheap ones strip out easily. You'll need a few wrenches too. I think the sizes are in the manual.

DJ and John thousands of miles on their bikes.

Thanks. I ordered the torque wrench, a basic bicycle repair kit, chain cleaner, lube, and degreaser. I'll retry the process once those things arrive. As for the pin I mentioned earlier, I removed the automatic catch from the handbike to clean up the pin and test it out. On it's own, the pin moves in and out with pressure applied by the flap. This makes me think that Pat and John are correct and that my initial problems are with the adjustments.

As for some of the other comments, this is my first handcycle. I borrowed one before, but this is the first one I've owned and will be responsible for. I'm a little over three years post SCI (T6). I've tried a number of different adapted sports, but handcycling has been the best cardio workout I've found. There's a pretty good network of paved bike paths near me that I'm looking forward to exploring once I get this thing working smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Looks like a city bike 8 speed. ... [1] What kind of chair are you attaching it to? ... [2] Will you take a picture of the other side as well. ... [3] It looks like someone bent the top of that out and the pin no longer makes contact with it. ...
    [1] I'm trying to attach it to a TiLite Aero Z (https://permobilus.com/product/aero-z/).

[2] Pictures of the other side are attached.

[3] See above comments re: flap successfully moving pin in and out (but I will see if I can flatten that piece out if necessary)

congrats ypu will love it I love mine great fun and cardio plus where I live a bonus for visting

Quote Originally Posted by ABQwheelin View Post
    [1] I'm trying to attach it to a TiLite Aero Z (https://permobilus.com/product/aero-z/).

[2] Pictures of the other side are attached.

[3] See above comments re: flap successfully moving pin in and out (but I will see if I can flatten that piece out if necessary)
    If you can move your big wheels back some on your chair that will throw more weight on the front wheel. I attach mine to a Quickie GPV and I have the luxury of adding a second axle sleeve in the axle plate at the furthermost back that you can and I can move my wheels back all the way which is about two inches from where they are under normal circumstances and it is amazing how much weight that throws on the front wheel. But I have to put them in the other axel sleeve that is all the way to the front when not using the attachment or my chair drives like a tank. You can see below that I have an extra sleeve to put the axel in. If you look through to the other side you get a better picture of how far a move that is. Stricker sells an attachment that you put on the back of your chair that allows you to move the wheels back considerably but I have no idea what they cost. http://www.stricker-handbikes.de/en/...ies/grv-detail As Pat said the weights that Stricker sells might fit on the front of your attachment and again I do not know how much they cost. http://www.stricker-handbikes.de/en/...weights-detail If you are comfortable making adjustments on your chair you might want to move the wheels back say an inch and see if that helps and if it does not change how your chair pushes to much.

John can tell you the prices on these things and offer his opinion on them. I like using the existing weight of my chair and me which is done by increasing the distance from the back wheels to the front wheel on the attachment rather than adding weight to the attachment.

I was injured the end of 1991 and heard about handcycling in 1993 and got my first attachment in 1993. The best thing that has happened to me in my post-injury life, other than meeting the woman that is now my wife. Cycling has been and I think always will be very therapeutic for me. The health benefits are great. There is also a sense of accomplishment. I use it as a mode of transportation every time I can as it saves me some transfers and numerous times of taking my chair apart and putting it back together. Once you get it dialed in you will love it just roll up and put it on in about a minute and go come back and drop it off and you are done. Did not even have to get out of your chair. I carry a lock with me for the few times I want to go in somewhere that is to small to accommodate leaving the attachment on