Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about new vitamin study?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, I strongly encourage everyone with a SCI to consider taking multivitamins if you are unable to get the RDA of these nutrients in your diet. Vitamin absorption also becomes less efficient with aging for everyone. The study posted above has not been replicated and is not consistent with much more good studies that support use of a multivitamin for most people.

(KLD)
    I try to eat well so I am pretty sure that I am getting most of my vitamins. But how do I know if I am getting all of them? How about minerals? It's too much work without much certainty to rely solely on my diet for getting all the RDA of all nutrients. Hence, I take Centrum Sliver for men regardless of how well I eat.

August and all -

I agree with KLD. I would also check with your primary care provider. For example, are you taking vitamin d because your levels are low or jus because. I wouldn't add a lot of supplements without consulting with your pcp. However, I also agree that the study above has not been replicated and contradicts a lot of studies that have been replicated.

IMHO, a multi vitamin does not hurt and probably helps given that it is difficult to get all the RDA by diet.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.