Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about new vitamin study?

Blog Entries

What do you think about new vitamin study?

Assuming everybody is now familiar with this new study that got airtime all over cable news .
    Are you still spending $ on multiple multivitamins?

All the research reports that come out say that most vitamins are not helpful and might be harmful in some cases because of a build up in the system.

Blog Entries
    Yes but what SCI patient wasn't instructed to add a multivitamin to their regimen coming out of rehab?
    And does this apply to cranberry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Yes but what SCI patient wasn't instructed to add a multivitamin to their regimen coming out of rehab?
    More than once on these pages the SCI nurses have mentioned that cranberry supplements don't work.

Blog Entries
    So the last word on cranberry supplements is that it's a waste?

So the last word on cranberry supplements is that it's a waste?
    Studies have found that cranberry supplements or juice do not significantly alter the incidence of UTI in people with SCI/D. In addition, because cranberry is high in oxalates, consuming large amounts can actually make you more at risk for calcium oxalate stones.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

What is the verdict on D-mannose?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    What is the verdict on D-mannose?
    D-mannose does have some efficacy in helping to prevent urinary tract infections caused by e coli, only. "Helping to prevent," it isn't a panacea. It won't prevent all urinary tract infections caused by e coli.

I take vitamin D because my blood work says my vitamin D level was too low. I take vitamin B complex because it enhances my mood (so does vitamin D). Otherwise, I don't see a need to take any special vitamins. But I still take a multivitamin. Is that wrong?

No, I strongly encourage everyone with a SCI to consider taking multivitamins if you are unable to get the RDA of these nutrients in your diet. Vitamin absorption also becomes less efficient with aging for everyone. The study posted above has not been replicated and is not consistent with much more good studies that support use of a multivitamin for most people.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.