Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hospital cost shock

hospital cost shock

I just got a bill from my 4 day vacation in hostial 59876.00 for a fricking 4 day where we did nothing but lay around because they whated to do a stress tess Saturday then I get down down there they cancel
    it

oh yes I have called to get a detailed bill and ?

that is nuts first time I have been in hospital in 11 years

Well, this is America. You probably will get more bills from many different people who might have been just said hi to you in that hospital.

Do you not have insurance? Medicare A & B? If you were hospitalized for observation, was it considered an outpatient (72 hour) observation stay? Does the bill indicate that this is what you owe, or what was billed to your insurance?

If you were in a monitored bed (telemetry or ICU or ICU-step down unit), just the hospital charge alone will generally be about $5,000-10,000/day, and this does not count medications, procedures, lab tests, physicians (usually hospitalists now days), and other misc. charges.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

YES I have medicare but that is a dam rip off seriously 4 day in a room no special care bp temp ekg that was it no meds that is plum wrong amount knocked dow to what I oe is 1185.00 I told them I want a detailed bill ast it has me stress test and we did not do 1 until 2 weeks later outpatient

no just a regular room that's insane

last time hospital was 2008 or 2009 and nothing hardly at all and I was in icu for over a week
    Last edited by vjls; 04-12-2019 at 03:16 PM.

hospital bills

ok asking as its been years I se where I have been charge for items I did not do like a stress test . items I am going to question the bill but is it best I do it or insurance. if this was a non propfit hospital I dam sure would hate to see for profit

I would talk to both. Keep questioning until you are satisfied you understand.

My first two weeks post injury, not counting the spinal fusion surgery was $250,000.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

There’s no such thing as a “not for profit” hospital. I mean there is legally and perhaps even technically, but in reality there are two types of “not for profit” hospitals in the US.

State hospitals generally operate at a loss and therefore really are not for profit, but more specifically they are public institutions backed by the taxpayers.

A hospital that isn’t owned by the state or a large university willing to subsidize the losses is almost always “not for profit” only in name. Being not for profit by law makes taxes lower and some regulations less burdensome, but in reality all of these are operated as for profit, it’s just that they distribute the profits as multimillion dollar bonuses to the CEOs and other high level administrators to make sure that at the end of the day they “break even”.

A few years ago they published the salary of the “not for profit” hospital CEO’s salary from my home town. It was something like 7 million dollars. The same year the CEO of the state hospital which was larger than the other system and also educated most of the states doctors and many of its nurses made $600,000. The guy getting paid 1/10th of the other dudes salary had an objectively harder job, but since they operated as a truly nonprofit public institution they weren’t flush with cash that had to be spent at the end of the year and somehow always seems to get voted into board members pockets when the board votes on what to do with the excess cash (that definitely isn’t a “profit”).

Great point funklab. And remember, insurance companies have their "profit" capped at something like 5% of expenses...with battalions of executives and board members pulling in 7 figures. If we took insurers out of the healthcare equation it would pull nearly a trillion dollars off the cost of healthcare while still paying hospital executives their 7 figures.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Blog Entries
    18 day stay including fusion and inpatient rehab was $530,000 at our local "not for profit" Hospital. (Insurance company and group practice the neurosurgeon worked for were also owned by the same "not for profit" consortium).
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments