Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baclofen Pump Meidcal Alert Jewlery/Tattoo?

Baclofen Pump Meidcal Alert Jewlery/Tattoo?

Hi Everyone,

So I had my pump put in and it's been advised I get some kind of medical alert bracelet/necklace/whatever.

Does anyone know what should be on it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

So I had my pump put in and it's been advised I get some kind of medical alert bracelet/necklace/whatever.

Does anyone know what should be on it?

Thanks!
    I carry my ID card from Medtronic in my wallet. It lists pump serial #, model # and contact info for Medtronic and the doctor who manages the pump. Didn't you get one?

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I did. It's just been advised I also have a medical alert bracelet.

Paramedics and ED staff are not necessarily going to look in your wallet before doing something like an MRI. I would agree that having a pendant or bracelet would be a good idea.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Maybe not the paramedics. But once you're inside a facility, you bet they're going to look for your insurance card right away.

I live in Canada so that's not always the case here We got one today, though.

Yes, i agree, the hospital will look through your belongings at some point AFTER you have arrived. For sure in the morgue. It's from time of need (injury, illness, etc.) and until you arrive at hospital is where first critical decisions are made. First responders are trained to look for bracelets/medallions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Yes, i agree, the hospital will look through your belongings at some point AFTER you have arrived.
    Isn't that good enough? I've had 2 pumps and several doctors managing them over 12 years and never even one mention of a bracelet. I'm trying to think of a scenario where the pump would require immediate action (or even knowledge that I have one) during the time between the ambulance call and arriving to the hospital.

It's not like a pacemaker. Baclofen pumps are safe for MRIs.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Isn't that good enough? I've had 2 pumps and several doctors managing them over 12 years and never even one mention of a bracelet. I'm trying to think of a scenario where the pump would require immediate action (or even knowledge that I have one) during the time between the ambulance call and arriving to the hospital.

It's not like a pacemaker. Baclofen pumps are safe for MRIs.
    Sort of, they turn off and start sounding alarms. Now that's just another thing the hospital has to piec together, though. Plus, shouldn't emergency personnel know I have a pump in my belly and a cath in my spine? Also, that I'm on IB.