Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower bench with cut out

Shower bench with cut out

Just bought a shower bench with cut out and my son can't get comfortable on it. It is a Carex. He is 6' 3" and 215 lbs. Maybe this bench is too small or something. Does anyone use one of these benches and what kind?

I don't know what kind you are talking about but I use a shower bench with a cut out and I turned it around so the toilet is backwards so I can get to my butt.
    Mary
    You would have to tell me the kind you are talking about.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Gary's mom, sorry, I can't help you either.

Mary,
    I did the same thing with my seat. I turn the "U" backwards so that I have better access to my backside and my leg doesn't flop into the void when I transfer.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by maryonwheels46
    You would have to tell me the kind you are talking about.
    Carex is the brand of the chair she mentioned...It's actually made by Rubbermaid...I'm not familiar with the one that has a cut-out however...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Is this the one you have?

Nurse-
    Yes, That's it. I took it back yesterday. My son struggles to wash his private area with the bench he has been using for the past year. He has a lot a spasticity that makes it hard for him to spread those legs open and wash and rinse etc. We thought one with a cut out would work - but he said it was too uncomfortable to sit on.
    Any help would be great.

The higher my feet are the more my knees seperate.

can you put his feet on a foot stool? I actually have two rubbermaid footstools stacked on top of each other but I'm only 5'3.
    I know that you can buy smaller foot stools that he might be able to use.

Hope that helps
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

Shannon-
    I never heard of the foot stool trick- I will have him try it tomorrow.
    Thanks for the idea!!

That is the same kind of chair that I use. I don't have as much trouble because I'm only 5'4 so I have more room.

Hey the foot stool thing is a great idea. Yes turning the seat around was a great idea because my legs would slip into the slot.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Now that I've seen the picture, that's the same bench I was sent home with. I didn't experience any discomfort from it except at first my leg would fall into the trough and I wasn't strong enough to pick myself up high enough to get out of it. I'll have to remember the footstool thing...
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.