Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation with Colostomy

Constipation with Colostomy

It seems to be an ongoing battle. About every other month I seem to plug up. I have tried irrigating with little to no luck. Nothing seems to come out. I watch what I eat. I don't eat any bread or cheese. I keep track in a daily chart of my intake and output. I take a stool softener after every meal. Ostomy nurse suggested trying Metamucil once every other day. That seemed to work for a while but now not so much. I have also started taking Align probiotic about a month ago. That seems to help a little bit. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks, Clint
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

Recently that started happening to me.
    My pharmacist suggested suppositories which seem to work well.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

keeping well hydrated works for me, I noticed when I'm not things dry up.
    Save The Whales

I take Metamucil twice a day, after lunch and after dinner. It causes a little more gas but bowel routines are no longer a problem and I rarely have accidents.

Two things yo might want to add or try are - 1. making sure that you are upright when you irrigate or use a suppository and 2.) try to keep as active as you can. I know your injury level may make that difficult, but any activity is better than none.

Another thought that I just had is to look at your medications and see if the cumulative side effect of constipation is there.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My only medication is oxybutynin (Ditropan). Would that have any effect?

Ditropan definitely could impact your bowel program. One of the side effects is dryness. There are other medications out there that are not considered anti-cholinergic without that side effect but a similar effect on your bladder. I would check with your urologist to see if there is something else that you could try.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I talked to my urologist and he is switching my medication. While waiting for the new prescription my guts started working more normally. So I believe it was the Ditropan that was causing my problems. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I thought the whole benefit of having a colo include no constipation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I thought the whole benefit of having a colo include no constipation ?
    There a whole lot of benefits but I've never heard that as the "whole benefit". Constipation is rare and easy to deal with. Diarrhea with a colostomy is SO much easier to deal with than without, no comparison. Regardless, we'll never convince you of any of the benefits.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein