Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constipation with Colostomy

Blog Entries

Deadeye, you're preaching to the nearly converted.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    There a whole lot of benefits but I've never heard that as the "whole benefit". Constipation is rare and easy to deal with. Diarrhea with a colostomy is SO much easier to deal with than without, no comparison. Regardless, we'll never convince you of any of the benefits.
    I may not be queuing up on the operating table quite yet but my tolerance for GI pain and bowel accidents has waned down to zero.
    Yet, it troubling to hear that you can get constipated with colostomy?
    UGH, The dreaded colo was my last armament in my "colonic war", if I have to worry that I can still get constipation pain post colo than wtf, my future is truly bleak.
    Sorry for thread hijack, but to those reading this we're really chasing after the same end game, pun intended.
    Country, I'd love to hear how you do, I live and die from trapped gas...... I'm seriously thinking to modify the deep gel cushion with some type of soft opening thru grommet strategically located beneath my "anatomical relief grommet" that would allow release of bodily gas (to be perfectly blunt about it). Hey is this possible medical experts? Should I rush to patent this concept??

I would hesitate to modify any cushion without speaking to the company. Once you change it physically, you lose any warranty/guarantee that it comes with. You also lose the effect that the gel has.

I don't think that what you are describing is possible - but I am not an engineer.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    It seems to be an ongoing battle. About every other month I seem to plug up. I have tried irrigating with little to no luck. Nothing seems to come out. I watch what I eat. I don't eat any bread or cheese. I keep track in a daily chart of my intake and output. I take a stool softener after every meal. Ostomy nurse suggested trying Metamucil once every other day. That seemed to work for a while but now not so much. I have also started taking Align probiotic about a month ago. That seems to help a little bit. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks, Clint
    Have you tried miralax? Thats the first suggestion the docs always give.
    I also suffer from constipation with my colostomy, but my bowels are very slow. The only thing that helps me actually have a bowel movement is to take Senna tablets(the other stuff for me personally makes me stool soft, but doesnt make it actually come out). That is because my peristalsis is super slow. I also irrigate but sometimes i do not feel so well after, so I am not consistent with that.