Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How accessible is ?mobility accessible? in a hotel rooms?

How accessible is ?mobility accessible? in a hotel rooms?

Are there standards that hotel chains stick to when providing Mobility accessible rooms? If I reserve a room that is guaranteed to be ?mobility excessive? and has a roll in shower, is there a way to find the minimum requirements to earn that specification?

I have a hotel booking with Springhill suites (Marriott), And I have gone through appropriate steps to lock down a mobility accessible room with a roll in shower. I am a quad, so this is a must! Upon recently digging through more reviews of this specific hotel, I found that some people were shocked by the cramped set up for an accessible room. I don?t know whether we was one of these roll in shower rooms, or if it was just a hearing impaired room. The review is also five years old, and I think the hotel has been through a renovation since then.

Should I bug the front desk for details about clearance? I have tried to find information from the Marriott site standards, but I haven?t had luck. I?m guessing this means there might not be standards?

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    Are there standards that hotel chains stick to when providing Mobility accessible rooms? If I reserve a room that is guaranteed to be ?mobility excessive? and has a roll in shower, is there a way to find the minimum requirements to earn that specification?

I have a hotel booking with Springhill suites (Marriott), And I have gone through appropriate steps to lock down a mobility accessible room with a roll in shower. I am a quad, so this is a must! Upon recently digging through more reviews of this specific hotel, I found that some people were shocked by the cramped set up for an accessible room. I don?t know whether we was one of these roll in shower rooms, or if it was just a hearing impaired room. The review is also five years old, and I think the hotel has been through a renovation since then.

Should I bug the front desk for details about clearance? I have tried to find information from the Marriott site standards, but I haven?t had luck. I?m guessing this means there might not be standards?
    That is literally right down the street from where I live. Maybe I can go check it out for you. What are you wanting to know specifically?

I see that you’re in St. Petersburg. Sadly, I won’t be visiting there. Do you think the exact floorplans are pretty consistent between hotels? I would guess that it might vary based on age.

I found reviews online for my reserved hotel that mention a cramped room, specifically the clearance between the queen bed and the TV stand. But this review wasn’t clear about whether it was a wheelchair room. They had just happened to be booked in the room. And commented that for an accessible room, it seemed cramped.

Have you tried calling the property directly and asking to speak with the general manager (GM) to get your questions answered. You could also ask the the GM to send you pictures of the room that will be reserved for you. I've gotten pretty good responses using this approach, pictures, measurements, bed height, free space under the bed, offers to handle special requests, etc.

I have promoted for years to reach out to the GM I do it via email you can call the hotel and ask for his or her email.

Be nice and introduce your self and that you planning to come to there hotel but you are needing help.

Be very specific many times we in our community think everyone in our world should or does understand our disabilities and what is needed or expected.

Tell them what you need, how it helps you and be open to ideas and feel free to give input.

There is no standard just as disabilities covers millions of options and needs.

Also ask if they can send someone in and take pictures and email or text them to you.

Only you can tell what will work and what will not. Know to if you need things and a specific heights to transfer like the bed, toilet and or shower chair etc ask for these measurements.

Not a lot can be changed but at least you will have them.

If your not a big traveler know most beds are on a platform so if you use a hoyer lift these type of beds are not standard and not all hotels have the option to accommodate.

Please dont forget if you have a good experience share it on travel sites as a good or bad review helps other and the hotel!

I see that you’re in St. Petersburg. Sadly, I won’t be visiting there. Do you think the exact floorplans are pretty consistent between hotels? I would guess that it might vary based on age.

I found reviews online for my reserved hotel that mention a cramped room, specifically the clearance between the queen bed and the TV stand. But this review wasn’t clear about whether it was a wheelchair room. They had just happened to be booked in the room. And commented that for an accessible room, it seemed cramped.
    Sorry about that. I am not sure about the floor plans. I would do what gjnl and RollPositive mentioned. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Sorry about that. I am not sure about the floor plans. I would do what gjnl and RollPositive mentioned. Good luck!
    Floor plans are 2 dimensional, pictures will show you much more detail and know you can ask for furniture to be removed to make more room, have the mattress for more firmness etc.

I'm back from my trip, and the hotel worked out great.

Follow-up question: is there an online resource that people use to post/search for accessibility of hotels? I was planning on posting a review on TripAdvisor where I found other reviews, but is there something that is specific to disabilities?

I would mark via your user name that your disabled because then other users will follow your post.

Also in your post mention that your a specific user so as others read they will get the idea.

Remember everyone traveling may not be disabled but traveling with someone that is, an aging parent or know someone that will get value from what you learned!

Glad the hotel worked!!

Done. I don't have a wheelchair-specific username, but I posted a fairly detailed review that includes photos. I'm hoping that the review that contains good keywords (wheelchair, accessible, roll in shower, etc.) should be enough to help people find it when necessary.