Thread: Torn Fingernails

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Torn Fingernails

I keep tearing the fingernail on the middle finger of my right hand, and I don't know how (since I have no feeling in it). It's been as bad as halfway gone. I tape gauze around it to protect it, and it will heal completely in a few weeks. My nurses don't like wrapping it all the time, but I prefer that to some kind of coating/polish (and I'm not sure that works anyway).

Has anyone else found a better treatment (or prevention)?

"The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Do you use wheelchair gloves?
    CKF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you use wheelchair gloves?
    CKF
    No, I use a power wheelchair. As a quad I cannot wear gloves. I used to use push cuffs with a manual wheelchair; they have no fingers.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle