Thread: Squeaking Backrest

Squeaking Backrest

My one-year-old TiLite ZRA has very loud and annoying squeaks on both sides of the backrest. I've tried tightening, loosening, and lubing everything but nothing helps!

Any advice from others who suffer from the TiLite squeaks??

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Dave

Sorry, no TiLite knowledge. But, I had a backrest making those type noises and then cracking sounds at times. Turned out the hard shell holding cushion was actually craked and with movement it made noises.
    "Good Luck!"

Make a rubber from a old tire tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16 View Post
    My one-year-old TiLite ZRA has very loud and annoying squeaks on both sides of the backrest. I've tried tightening, loosening, and lubing everything but nothing helps!

Any advice from others who suffer from the TiLite squeaks??

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Dave,

I have the same squeak but it is only once in a while and it happens everytime I transfer into my 'chair; TiLite ZR with carbon fiber 12" ADI hardback.

Try making a rubber washer for both clamps on the cane from an old rubber inner tube. Make two 3/4 inch rings, one for each cane then two rectangular ones where the two brackets clamp together. Use a sharp X-Acto knife to cut the hole for the bolt to go through. See if that stops the squeak.

Avoid silicone spray or any other lubicant. It may cause your back to slowly move downwards and make you sit differently.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

What kind of backrest is it? That can help with suggestions.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Dave,

I have the same squeak but it is only once in a while and it happens everytime I transfer into my 'chair; TiLite ZR with carbon fiber 12" ADI hardback.

Try making a rubber washer for both clamps on the cane from an old rubber inner tube. Make two 3/4 inch rings, one for each cane then two rectangular ones where the two brackets clamp together. Use a sharp X-Acto knife to cut the hole for the bolt to go through. See if that stops the squeak.

Avoid silicone spray or any other lubicant. It may cause your back to slowly move downwards and make you sit differently.

Ti
    Thanks! I'm willing to try anything.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    What kind of backrest is it? That can help with suggestions.
    I guess I should have provided more info- sorry.

It's not actually the backrest, the squeaks seem to come from the hinge area of the fold-down, backrest canes.

It's really driving my nuts.

Dave
    Dave

Blog Entries
    If it were me, I'd Loctite the crap out of it. Maybe even take it to the shed and TiG the whole adjustment contraption solid. I strongly dislike the TiLite adjustable back bracket. Short of that, I might try installing PB (phosphor-bronze) washers on all the bolt's contact points. Something soft and 'self-lubricating'. The squeaks are probably coming from the hardened metals touching and rubbing a tiny bit.

Tight upholstery can sometimes make a creaking sound when settling it, also.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

My Permobil backrest was driving me (and anyone near me) crazy with squeaking. We sprayed all the parts with WD40, then wiped all the residue off. No more squeaks.
    4xquad