Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smartdrive ?

smartdrive ?

my doc wants me to go to an eval for a smartdrive

do those of you that have one like it
    do you use it a lot
    im thinking i probably wouldnt use it a lot my ins would pay for it but id hate to see all that money sitting in a closet
    seems easy enough to use as long as you dont turn on by accident from what ive read on them
    thanks for any help
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I use mine whenever the weather is nice to zip around town It's useless around the farm except indoors all in all I like it alot

Blog Entries
    I got one with my new chair in late 2017. Works great, simple, if you are smarter than the average rock or bag of hammers. I tried using it on gravel-no go. I tried using it on trails in the Smokies where I used to live, no go. It is good on pavement,concrete, store floors etc. If your yard/fields are level, good there too. Now I'm in the desert and can't use it. I keep it charged and keep it dusted off, every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    I got one with my new chair in late 2017. Works great, simple, if you are smarter than the average rock or bag of hammers. I tried using it on gravel-no go. I tried using it on trails in the Smokies where I used to live, no go. It is good on pavement,concrete, store floors etc. If your yard/fields are level, good there too. Now I'm in the desert and can't use it. I keep it charged and keep it dusted off, every now and then.
    not sure how smart i am lol
    how often it need charged if not using it

I used to like the factory MX1 alot because of it's portability, easy in and out of the van. I now use a lift, so that portability is not so important. But I still use power assist on my manual wheelchair. Actually, I have an I-Glide, but with with my lithium battery and all it's weight is around 50 pounds, so I it is power assist. And the wheelchair rear wheels operate like E-Motion, or Twion etc, maybe better.
    Based on my experience with my I-Glide, E-Motion type won't have the severe traction issues the SmartDrive does.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I love mine and use it daily, and I charge it maybe every 3 days. It really just depends on how much you use it throughout the day, and whether you turn it off when not in use to determine how much you need to charge it.

There is a learning curve, that's for sure. The trick is to remember to turn the watch off.

If you're getting it to give your shoulder some much needed rest, I'd say go for it.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Takes some getting use too. Makes going out great. I don't use handicap parking anymore. Just park somewhere no one can block my door. Pushing a grocery cart is a breeze. I even made a stick I zip tie on the front of the chair to push the cart instead of haveing to use my hand.
    I can drink a beer and still wheel at car show, fair, etc.
    Biggest pain is the FIT BIT. Have to charge it every day. The Smart Drive lasts quite a while.
    Danger= You have to get use to turning off the Smart Drive or the FIt BIt when you are doing something else. Bumping something, clapping you hands, unzipping your back pack can set the thing off, and you're flying. SURPRISE.

i got a eval on may 3rd i think its gonna be good to have thanks yall

I like mine. It's of no use in the house......which is good.

Let us know how it goes, wheelin!

If I ever get a new chair (two year plus process thus far, but I switched DMEs so I'm hopeful now), as soon as I get the chair I'm gonna start the process to get a smartdrive.

I live in a very walkable downtown, but currently my shoulders are protesting if I climb the hills more than once, so a smartdrive will probably help me get out more since I don't have to park or endure my shoulders creaking and popping to get around.