Thread: Proctitis with sigmoid colostomy

Proctitis with sigmoid colostomy

Hi

i have a question here. My doctor put me on CANASA for 30 days because I have mild proctitis. In my rectum My question is how do I get rid of the residue after a buildup of the CANASA in my rectum. Obviously I can?t poop it out because of the colostomy. Digital stimulation will irritate my rectum and make it bleed. Any suggestions? Thank

Blog Entries
    That knocked me off the C-fence again

Quote Originally Posted by julian q View Post
    Hi

i have a question here. My doctor put me on CANASA for 30 days because I have mild proctitis. In my rectum My question is how do I get rid of the residue after a buildup of the CANASA in my rectum. Obviously I can?t poop it out because of the colostomy. Digital stimulation will irritate my rectum and make it bleed. Any suggestions? Thank
    A colon cleaning kit to introduce a warm water wash. You have to VERY, VERY, VERY careful with this and it would help if you could get instructions from your doctor or his Physician's Assistant. But a kit like this one would be what you would need to carry out the cleansing. https://www.amazon.com/Enema-Colon-C...90736185&psc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I’m posting this website on proctitis below in case anyone looking in on this post is curious to this medical diagnosis and treatment

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/proctitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20376933

so Canasa aka Mesalamine comes on an oral tablet and rectal form and is an anti-inflammatory medication
    Julian q it appears is referring to the rectal form that he was prescribed by his provider
    The dose is 1000 mg suppository administered rectally daily at bedtime for 3-6 weeks
    it is the treatment for ulcerative colitis or ulcerative proctitis

thank you gjnl fpr posting above because Canasa is excreted through feces so Julian q has a legitimate concern. One would hope that the suppository would absorb into the tissue of the bowel but it may not.

good learning moment for me as well

I hope the treatment proves successful

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Suck it out with an anoscope.