Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Equipment

Do you have a picture of the old one?

Quote Originally Posted by miltongm09 View Post
    The item I have used most in 40+ years as quad is a 36" stick with a hook on the end. It had a plastic sheath around wood. The only thing I can find similar now are wood and too short to be functional. The hook on the new ones are not as functional either. Got it from OT just after injury. Can't find anything just like it anymore. It has been repaired a few times. I have picked up, moved and reached more things with that than I can count. Extremely useful. As a side note, the coolest adaption I ever had was my wife making a stiffened strap for my infant son that was attached to his bib overalls so I could lift him on to my lap from the floor. He is grown now but I can't believe I did that and changed his diaper as a c5-6 quad.

Quote Originally Posted by miltongm09 View Post
    The item I have used most in 40+ years as quad is a 36" stick with a hook on the end. It had a plastic sheath around wood. The only thing I can find similar now are wood and too short to be functional. The hook on the new ones are not as functional either. Got it from OT just after injury. Can't find anything just like it anymore. It has been repaired a few times. I have picked up, moved and reached more things with that than I can count. Extremely useful.
    So, the downsides of current offerings are:
    • wood
    • length
    • hook style

As your preferred device has a wood core, presumably the objection to "wood" is the feel of the wood (sliver risk?). Could you "coat" a wooden one with something like shrink-wrap tubing (rubbery texture)?

Alternatively, mount the hook on a "plug" (i.e., in the sense of something used to plug a hole) that you could wedge into the end of an aluminum/plastic tube? Then, separate the sale of a "good hook" from the entire issue of how long the stick should be (or what material to use)...

i think my handcycle is the best thing i have out of everything
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 04-07-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Ossenberg carbon fiber folding forearm crutches with my magnet modification..

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1850835

A strong grabber like this one. The cheaper ones don't hold much weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    What brand is that guy, August?

All I've got is a weak grabber that is so trash I don't even use it... and after loading some rarely used dishes onto the second shelf in my cabinet and hearing the creaking, popping and grinding of my shoulders this evening I think they deserve as much of a break as I can give them.

Blog Entries
    Need. I break at least 3 of the shite grabbers a year.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    What brand is that guy, August?

All I've got is a weak grabber that is so trash I don't even use it... and after loading some rarely used dishes onto the second shelf in my cabinet and hearing the creaking, popping and grinding of my shoulders this evening I think they deserve as much of a break as I can give them.
    They are called Nifty Grabber and are available at Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon, Costco, Bed Bath and Beyond. They offer different sizes and styles.

https://www.amazon.com/Unger-Profess...92&sr=1-7&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Unger-Professional-Nifty-Nabber-36/dp/B01G5WNO2M/ref=lp_3776931_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=15546848 92&sr=1-7&th=1

The soft rubber tip offers better friction that the plastic tips. That feature comes in handy to better handle slippery stuff like glass jars, pots and pans, and press the vent switch above my stove.
    Last edited by August West; 04-08-2019 at 01:49 AM.