Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scottsdale AZ

Growing up in Southern Utah I went to the North Rim several times with the Boy Scouts. Fast forward 50 years and one SCI along with moving back to Saint George Utah as a snowbird. I just came back from my latest trip to the North Rim https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toroweap_Overlook. Talk about a different point of view of the North Rim. The Toroweap Overlook is the deepest part of the Grand Canyon and the trip was well worth the 68 miles of dirt roads and rocky trails. Was just what the doctor ordered so to speak before I return back to North Dakota for the summer and fall

check out ability 360 you will be impressed. Arizona is lucky to have a state of the art sport centers for the disabled. Check it out three swimming pools alls with lifts. Gyms for all types of disabled sports. One of the biggest most modern independent livign centers in the nation. https://ability360.org/sports/

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    check out ability 360 you will be impressed. Arizona is lucky to have a state of the art sport centers for the disabled. Check it out three swimming pools alls with lifts. Gyms for all types of disabled sports. One of the biggest most modern independent livign centers in the nation. https://ability360.org/sports/

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    While it is admirable that this facility exists and is an asset for those of you who live in the greater valley area, if you have only a few days to visit Arizona as a tourist, I don't think you would be inclined to take your precious vacation time to visit this facility. Tourists, with or without a disability want to see the high points of interest that the area has to offer. Grand Canyon...a sports center? Sedona...a sports center? A desert museum...a sports center?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    While it is admirable that this facility exists and is an asset for those of you who live in the greater valley area, if you have only a few days to visit Arizona as a tourist, I don't think you would be inclined to take your precious vacation time to visit this facility. Tourists, with or without a disability want to see the high points of interest that the area has to offer. Grand Canyon...a sports center? Sedona...a sports center? A desert museum...a sports center?
    Interesting view point but I have lots of friends that while on vacation work out...why should our community be any different.

Work out, swim with lifts in all three pools, yoga, running track, you name it.

As a our family vacations ever other month and a lot of business traveling I can tell you there is nothing less relaxing the running endlessly from one tourist trap to another.

Driving, crowds, over priced places to eat etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Interesting view point but I have lots of friends that while on vacation work out...why should our community be any different.

Work out, swim with lifts in all three pools, yoga, running track, you name it.

As a our family vacations ever other month and a lot of business traveling I can tell you there is nothing less relaxing the running endlessly from one tourist trap to another.

Driving, crowds, over priced places to eat etc.
    The Ability 360 gym is 7 miles south and west of Camelback and Scottsdale Road, which is pretty centrally located in Scottsdale. I don't know where in Scottsdale the original poster is staying, but weekday traffic along that route can be a nightmare, which can drag a 30 minute workout session into an hour and a half + round trip trek. Business trips that I have been on don't have that kind of time built in for me to spend that kind of time to work out. That said the drive through the Papago Park buttes is an interesting site to see.

If you read closely, the original poster is going to be in Scottsdale for business, will be in Arizona for 6 days, and plans a trip to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. That is going to be a jammed packed 6 days.

Talk about crowds and over priced places to eat, Old Scottsdale would top my list to avoid.

I don't consider the drive from Phoenix to Sedona and the Grand Canyon "running endlessly from one tourist trap to another," but it is all about the perspective of the individual traveler.
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-14-2019 at 10:10 PM.

The trip to Scottsdale AZ was great. We drove from N Scottsdale (Carefree AZ) to Sedona and stayed overnight. Did the touristy things for a day and a half and took off for the Grand Canyon. Stayed overnight, spent part of the next day there and drove back to Carefree around noon. We didn't get to everything on our list but, loved what we were able to do...we are already planning to go back next May. Thanks for all the suggestions.

So glad you had a great trip!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions