Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottsdale AZ

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Local here I think Grand Canyon is over rated and not that accessible and its an all day trip back and forth from Scottsdale.
    NL was born and raised in Phoenix and I lived there from age 12 to 24. As locals you can become a bit jaded about one of the seven wonders of the natural world. What is the saying, something like...familiarity breeds contempt.

When we were teens, we would leave early on a winter Saturday morning, drive to the Grand Canyon, play in the snow for a few hours, and drive home in the same day. That kind of access can make you dismissive of the wonder and grandeur of the Grand Canyon.

We haven't been to the Grand Canyon in decades or even since I've been injured, but it is a national park and they usually do the very best given the topography to make the park, vista points etc. accessible. "South of the windy," I assume is south of Chicago. If you have never been to Arizona, I would encourage you to take the trek to the Grand Canyon. You can go straight to the Canyon from the Valley in 4-5 hours given traffic, see what you can see after you get there (a great sunset), spend the night inside or outside of the park gates, see a little more in the morning, then drive back down via Sedona, see what you can see in the afternoon (a great sunset), get up early (and see a great sunrise), see a little more in the area and drive back down to the valley to stay longer in Scottsdale or catch your plane. If you can and want to stay a little longer in either Sedona or Grand Canyon, I would encourage you to do so. After all, auto museums and other touristy stuff can be done just about any where. But, you can't see the natural wonders of the Grand Canyon and the natural beauty of Sedona just anywhere.

Have a good trip!
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-10-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    NL was born and raised in Phoenix and I lived there from age 12 to 24. As locals you can become a bit jaded about one of the seven wonders of the natural world. What is the saying, something like...familiarity breeds contempt.

When we were teens, we would leave early on a winter Saturday morning, drive to the Grand Canyon, play in the snow for a few hours, and drive home in the same day. That kind of access can make you dismissive of the wonder and grandeur of the Grand Canyon.

We haven't been to the Grand Canyon in decades or even since I've been injured, but it is a national park and they usually do the very best given the topography to make the park, vista points etc. accessible. "South of the windy," I assume is south of Chicago. If you have never been to Arizona, I would encourage you to take the trek to the Grand Canyon. You can go straight to the Canyon from the Vally in 4-5 hours given traffic, see what you can see after you get there (a great sunset), spend the night inside or outside of the park gates, see a little more in the morning, then drive back down via Sedona, see what you can see in the afternoon (a great sunset), get up early (and see a great sunrise), see a little more in the area and drive back down to the valley to stay longer in Scottsdale or catch your plane. If you can and want to stay a little longer in either Sedona or Grand Canyon, I would encourage you to do so. After all, auto museums and other touristy stuff can be done just about any where. But, you can't see the natural wonders of the Grand Canyon and the natural beauty of Sedona just anywhere.

Have a good trip!
    Wonderful post, GJ! I will never forget my trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon when I was an AB 20-something. I remember sitting on a rock, watching the sun come up and sharing the space with a probably poisonous but incredibly beautiful, multicolored striped centipede. What a glorious sight the Grand Canyon is, not to be missed if you're in the neighborhood!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Wonderful post, GJ! I will never forget my trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon when I was an AB 20-something. I remember sitting on a rock, watching the sun come up and sharing the space with a probably poisonous but incredibly beautiful, multicolored striped centipede. What a glorious sight the Grand Canyon is, not to be missed if you're in the neighborhood!
    Hey "Bonnette," not many people get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. That is an all together different perspective on the magnificence of the Canyon. NL and I did the North Rim only once in all the years we lived in Arizona. Our stay was before I was injured and we stayed in a very rustic, small cabin...not much room, not much heat, but it is a magical moment in our memory.

Glad you had the chance to have that experience.

Best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hey "Bonnette," not many people get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. That is an all together different perspective on the magnificence of the Canyon. NL and I did the North Rim only once in all the years we lived in Arizona. Our stay was before I was injured and we stayed in a very rustic, small cabin...not much room, not much heat, but it is a magical moment in our memory.

Glad you had the chance to have that experience.

Best,
    GJ
    Oooh, a rustic cabin on the north rim! I so understand how that was a magical experience for you and NL. Such memories hold the sparkle, keep us going.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Oooh, a rustic cabin on the north rim! I so understand how that was a magical experience for you and NL. Such memories hold the sparkle, keep us going.
    And now my lovely bride and I will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in May. Things are definitely not as easy and care free as they once were, but somehow, we have managed to keep on keepin' on.

Just to let you know, NL and I think you are a wonderful spirit. I'm a bit testy (did I say a bit...), NL is tough as nails and a force with which to be dealt, but you are just a lovely lady who always sees the best in everyone. Every once in a while, you just have to call out special people in real life or cyber life.

Cheers,
    GJ and NL
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-10-2019 at 10:37 AM.

we had to go to north rim as we had our horses with up that was super cool back in th early 70

Oh my goodness, GJ and NL, what a kind thing for you to say! I'm honored by your words, and may I say that I admire the two of you to the nth degree. You're steady and strong and straightforward, and give wise counsel.

Here is a cybertoast in celebration of your 50-year wedding anniversary next month! It will be 38 years for me and my husband in June. How true, life is not as smooth as before, but to keep on keepin' on is a wonderful thing.

Thank you GJ and Bonnette. That's exactly what we're planning to do!

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    Oh, how fun that will be! Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    I don't know how much time you have to spend, one attraction at the Grand Canyon that we've never seen is the Grand Canyon SkyWalk. It is about a 4 hour drive from Grand Canyon Village, and so adds another day to the trip...but WOW (if you don't suffer from acrophobia and/or vertig)o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vSrqMK4kVRA
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-11-2019 at 02:20 PM.