Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Van lift choices

I had a Chevy cargo van that had a metal floor with groves and ridges in it. My mobility dealer covered it with 1/4" plywood. Then he glued thin outdoor carpet on it. It worked fine.

The Transit has some critical areas for the unibody is probably what the drill templates all about. I’d call NorCal Vans in Chico and see what they would charge for the same mods. Some thing to compare to and they definitely have done some.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    No sales tax on vehicle adaptive equipment. $350.00 for a drilling template tells me a lot. Unless you buy the pieces used, and find someone with talent to install, you don't have much choice.
    That they're very expensive? Yeah, the guy I had been friendly with said that, but that they were experienced with full size vans for 30 years. Not sure if that's enough. It's crazy, that's what my down payment was, and what even some cars sell for! I've looked at used lifts, but most look beat up pretty much, rust, and use wear.

Good idea with NorCal vans. I'll try that. I know I want a bit more of a sub floor, putting down insulation first, then plywood, then vinyl planks. But it's not that hard. Or even that time consuming.

Please let me know if you have a resource for a used Braun Vangater! I would like to refurbish one and use it for a new vehicle. I really don?t like any of the new lifts. They are far too big, bulky and less practical for a light-weight manual chair user.
    If you think that you can or if you feel you can't, either way your right.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/pt...849493881.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamblvr View Post
    Please let me know if you have a resource for a used Braun Vangater! I would like to refurbish one and use it for a new vehicle. I really don?t like any of the new lifts. They are far too big, bulky and less practical for a light-weight manual chair user.

Still can't decide which one is best!! Should I go with the lightest weight one that's affordable?

I just went through this last year. Here were my requirements:

1. full size van with a full conversion in good shape
    2. no rust
    3. windows (not a cargo van)
    4. purchase price plus renovation cost is less than conversion cost

I found an old Econoline van that met these requirements for $5K. Considering it costs $25K for a conversion, I practically got paid $20K to buy the thing.

For another $10K I restored it will all new interior, rebuilt transmission, rebuilt AC, and tune-up of all systems. I am on the fence if I should upgrade to heavy duty brakes and suspension and maybe new paint. That will bring the total to about $20K, which is still $5K less than the cost of a new conversion alone. This thing is built like a tank and should last a lifetime. You can't say that for late model vans.

Most likely I should of started a new thread but thought ask here first.
    My lift is 16 years old, now that only national company owns lift shop everytime take in with problem it takes at minium 2 visits and last time continued same proble trying load up before leaving. Shop manger said no time to check then but make appointment to be checked later.
    Each time in cost of assessment and labor plus parts keeps going up.
    My van was bought new same time as lift is 2003 which has 54K miles, fair shape so can't see buying new van.

I thinking buying new lift to just replace current one. Add up costs last 2 years is near about lift cost new and can't see keep throwing money at current lift.
    But, all new lifts have all these extra sensors, saftey equipment and looking at Youtube seems all these add to breakdowns and I don't want play paying out nose for repairs like currently done til my wife and I said enough is enough. We been using transit service last 4 months but kinda rough not having own transportation to go where/when want.
    Any recommendations on a new dependable lift with bare essential equipment minus all fance sensors/safety stuff?

Ricon Uni-Lite is bare bones and easy enough to work on yourself.