Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Attachment for Manual Wheelchair that Converts to Powered Wheelchair

@ProPulse Hey, great project! Sounds like the smartdrive with the functionality of the Alber e-fix or ZX1. That sounds like the perfect add on to me. This is exactly what I was looking for someone to produce as a power add on. I assumed the engineering problem that needed to be solved for this configuration was the brake which @Gordy1 mentioned. But I saw your reply saying you think you have a fix for this! Cool! Anyway keep us updated with any progress, I would definitely buy a product that worked like this!

@rob1 Thank you very much for the kind words I fully intend on keeping the forum updated each step of the way! We am DETERMINED to make this device user inspired rather than purely engineering.

Mounting Location for Powered Attachment

Hello all,

I have posted a few times and found the community to be extremely helpful. I am part of a team developing an affordable and convenient attachment to power manual wheelchairs. My question is:

Do you believe it would be more convenient to have this attachment in the front (behind your calves) or in the back? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Steve

In the back may provide better control. In the front would be easier to access. Best of both worlds would be if you could provide adequate control with it in the front... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ProPulse View Post
    Do you believe it would be more convenient to have this attachment in the front (behind your calves) or in the back? ...
    Back first, I think you mean in the SD location. It is convenient and fairly easy to access.
    By front behind calves you might mean behind the footrest, but forward of where the SD would be, more or less under the chair. So are we talking doing wheelies now to install it? Not so good for some like me. And some or many do not have the wheels that one can reach their hands through the spokes. The very cheap chairs do and the expensive wheels do, but not the rest.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.