Thread: permobile battery charger

Blog Entries

permobile battery charger

i have an f3 permobile power chair. i live out in the sticks and was wanting to get a spare charger for it. is there a site or after market charger i could get that is reasonably priced? any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchy55 View Post
    i have an f3 permobile power chair. i live out in the sticks and was wanting to get a spare charger for it. is there a site or after market charger i could get that is reasonably priced? any ideas.
    This is not Permobil branded but check here: https://www.batteriesplus.com/charge...l/f5-corpus-vs

Also try Craigs List and Ebay

Don't know if you have other chairs but I use same charger from Quantum on Permobil, AmySystem and Bounder. As long as plugs same I was told it was OK. Been doing this for years as well as using old and new Lester chargers on all them.
    We do have old "rapid charger" by Sonceil(sp?) that use to use in van to charge on road. Don't know if still in business but the charge still works and it's over 20 years old.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    Don't know if you have other chairs but I use same charger from Quantum on Permobil, AmySystem and Bounder. As long as plugs same I was told it was OK.
    Better advice would have been:

"...as long as the battery voltage, chemistry and general CAPACITY is the same..."

Different chemistries have different charging profiles and constraints (e.g., lithium vs. lead-acid). And, battery capacity dictates what the nominal charging current ("rate") should be. You wouldn't want to wait forever to charge a full-size chair using a charger intended for some dinky little scooter (i.e., much smaller battery). Nor would you want to use a charger sized for a large battery pack to charge a tiny battery (i.e., don't use a firehose to fill a drinking glass!).

You can make a mismatched charger and battery work together. But, run the risk of damaging the battery (i.e., wrong chemistry or excessive charging current) or getting less than optimal performance from the "system".

Do you know what it has for batteries? If it's the typical 24 volt system, with a XLR Neutrix connector, you should have no problem finding a used charger on eBay. What charger are you currently using?

Is there any place to get the Permobil type charger (new)? The nice thing about the Permobil version is that it's 100% silent. Those from Batteries+ have a fan that makes some audible noise while you're trying to sleep.

The older Lester chargers are dead quiet, the later versions have cooling fans. https://www.ebay.com/itm/LESTER-DUAL...8AAOSwI1lcmZ6w

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    This is not Permobil branded but check here: https://www.batteriesplus.com/charge...l/f5-corpus-vs

Also try Craigs List and Ebay

Please do not buy that charger its a 5 amp output you need a 8 amp for a good complete charge!!

Also dont buy used because its the perfect place for someone with a bad charger to put it on sale and make a easy $100

Get a different charger then your Permobil charger and mix it up a little good way to max charge your batteries as each charger charges and conditions a little different!

https://soneil.com/product/2416sr02/

What is amperage? It's the rate of charge. That means 5A charges slower than 8A. But it will charge. More important than speed is overcurrent protection. You want a charger that goes into standby mode (ultra low current) once the battery is fully charged to prevent damage from overcharging the battery.
    Last edited by August West; 04-23-2019 at 09:39 PM.