Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for removing Conveen Optima condom cath

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    For acronym challenged ECC=External Condom Catheter.

After all is said and done, I am consistent.
    Yes, I already defined that abbreviation in post #4 above.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, I already defined that abbreviation in post #4 above.

(KLD)
    Yes you did (and I appreciate your effort), but my experience on Care Cure Community is that nobody reads beyond their nose, so terms have to be continually defined. Haven't you experienced within a thread, that no one reads beyond the first and last post and not much or nothing in between.

Just making an observation. Not trying to be peevish.
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-01-2019 at 01:10 AM.

I looked at some of the reviews for the Goo-Gone and people did not have good things to say. Thank you for the tip on the ConvaTec. Sometimes disability moves a bit to the background and other times it becomes a full-time job again for a while. Eek, researching weiner wipes ;-)

Sorry copied the wrong one out of my notes. Allkare has an alcohol free adhevise remover wipe:

ConvaTec AllKare Adhesive Remover Wipes from HealthyKin.com gently remove all adhesives including skin barriers, tapes and hydrocolloid dressings.

ConvaTec AllKare Adhesive Remover Wipes Features:

• Effectively removes adhesive residue from skin that can effect wear time
    • Contains emollients that leave skin feeling soft and supple
    • Alcohol freer
    • Individually packaged

Part numbers: 037436, 037443

I haven't tried the Goo Gone Medical Adhesive Remover.

I am worried that between washing before using the ECC, the adhesive, the remover and washing with alcohol, the skin will dry out. I guess experience will teach me. Taking the ECC off without warm water or any help was pretty bad. I hope to figure it out.

Any advice on getting the body used to relaxing and being able to void while sitting? I am used to doing it while laying in bed or standing but sitting, even with full bladder, my sphincter wouldn't let go.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have used the ConvaTec AllKare Adhesive Remover Wipes in the past, and they are a good product. Whatever you use, wash the skin well with soap and water after removing the ECC to remove any residual of the adhesive remover solution or alcohol.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I am worried that between washing before using the ECC, the adhesive, the remover and washing with alcohol, the skin will dry out. I guess experience will teach me. Taking the ECC off without warm water or any help was pretty bad. I hope to figure it out.
    If you wash the shaft and glans with a very mild soap like Cetaphil, Eucerin, or Cera Ve (dry, sensitive skin formula) after removing the external catheter, then apply a non alcohol based skin barrier like Smith and Nephew "No Sting" Skin Barrier (no alcohol), let that dry thoroughly before rolling the external catheter on, then apply warm water soaks to the catheter when you are ready to take it off and use a non alcohol medical adhesive remover to moisten under the edges of the catheter as you remove it, you shouldn't need to use any more alcohol to wash the penile skin. That should greatly limit the risk of drying out the skin too much.

If you wash the shaft and glans with a very mild soap like Cetaphil, Eucerin, or Cera Ve (dry, sensitive skin formula) after removing the external catheter, then apply a non alcohol based skin barrier like Smith and Nephew "No Sting" Skin Barrier (no alcohol), let that dry thoroughly before rolling the external catheter on, then apply warm water soaks to the catheter when you are ready to take it off and use a non alcohol medical adhesive remover to moisten under the edges of the catheter as you remove it, you shouldn't need to use any more alcohol to wash the penile skin. That should greatly limit the risk of drying out the skin too much.
    Thank you. That's a lot of good information. I will look for those things.