Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for removing Conveen Optima condom cath

Advice for removing Conveen Optima condom cath

I started using Conveen condom catheters but I'm having trouble. Very difficult and uncomfortable to remove condom after. I followed instructions and video but the adhesive is holding so tightly it takes a long time to remove the condom and it hurts.

Any advice on how to make it easier?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I started using Conveen condom catheters but I'm having trouble. Very difficult and uncomfortable to remove condom after. I followed instructions and video but the adhesive is holding so tightly it takes a long time to remove the condom and it hurts.

Any advice on how to make it easier?
    Are you using a skin preparation before putting the catheter on? Typically, the skin prep is applied and allowed to dry completely before the catheter is rolled on.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Are you using a skin preparation before putting the catheter on? Typically, the skin prep is applied and allowed to dry completely before the catheter is rolled on.
    No skin prep. I was given catheters but not told about skin prep. What is it and does it help removing the condom?

It is recommended to use a liquid skin barrier on the glans and shaft of the penis when using external condom catheters (ECC). Skin Prep is one brand. Personally, I like the 3M No-Sting Barrier but it is also more expensive, but it doesn't wash off with urine or water (only alcohol). Be sure whatever you use that it is thoroughly dry before applying the ECC. This makes it easier to get the ECC to stick to the penis skin, and also protects the skin from maceration or burning from the urine. They also help prevent tape burn type problems with removal of ECC (and wound care dressing tape as well).

What are you using to try to release the adhesive? Most external condom catheter manufacturers recommend alcohol swabs, squeezing the alcohol under the edge of the condom catheter as you peel/roll it back. A few brands have their own solutions which they combine in the packaging.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

No skin prep. I was given catheters but not told about skin prep. What is it and does it help removing the condom?
    There are two purposes for skin sealant. It will protect your skin from perspiration and urine moisture; and when you remove the condom catheter, the layer of skin sealant – not the external layer of your skin – will be removed.

When I used these, I found that wrapping a warm, wet wash cloth around the condom catheter/penis, and waiting a couple minutes helped in removal and I used warm water or a non alcohol/ non acetone remover product. I found that alcohol wipes and adhesive remover wipes with acetone irritating to the skin. Smith and Nephew makes medical adhesive remover called REMOVE that is alcohol and acetone free.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is recommended to use a liquid skin barrier on the glans and shaft of the penis when using external condom catheters (ECC). Skin Prep is one brand. Personally, I like the 3M No-Sting Barrier but it is also more expensive, but it doesn't wash off with urine or water (only alcohol). Be sure whatever you use that it is thoroughly dry before applying the ECC. This makes it easier to get the ECC to stick to the penis skin, and also protects the skin from maceration or burning from the urine. They also help prevent tape burn type problems with removal of ECC (and wound care dressing tape as well).

What are you using to try to release the adhesive? Most external condom catheter manufacturers recommend alcohol swabs, squeezing the alcohol under the edge of the condom catheter as you peel/roll it back. A few brands have their own solutions which they combine in the packaging.

(KLD)
    I haven't been using anything to help remove the adhesive and it's stuck pretty solidly to the skin. Very uncomfortable. I wasn't told anything about skin prep or condom removal. I wish I had. Your idea of alcohol may be a great solution. I am concerned about it drying the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    There are two purposes for skin sealant. It will protect your skin from perspiration and urine moisture; and when you remove the condom catheter, the layer of skin sealant – not the external layer of your skin – will be removed.

When I used these, I found that wrapping a warm, wet wash cloth around the condom catheter/penis, and waiting a couple minutes helped in removal and I used warm water or a non alcohol/ non acetone remover product. I found that alcohol wipes and adhesive remover wipes with acetone irritating to the skin. Smith and Nephew makes medical adhesive remover called REMOVE that is alcohol and acetone free.
    Thank you for the warm wash cloth advice. That may do the trick. I couldn't figure out what to do. I looked at Smith and Nephew and it does say it has alcohol. I also found Goo-Gone medical adhesive remover and it says it doesn't contain alcohol. It would mean so much if I could make getting the condom off easy.

Here's the link to what I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Scienti..._huc_item?th=1

Thank you for the warm wash cloth advice. That may do the trick. I couldn't figure out what to do. I looked at Smith and Nephew and it does say it has alcohol. I also found Goo-Gone medical adhesive remover and it says it doesn't contain alcohol. It would mean so much if I could make getting the condom off easy.

Here's the link to what I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Scienti..._huc_item?th=1
    Sorry copied the wrong one out of my notes. Allkare has an alcohol free adhevise remover wipe:

ConvaTec AllKare Adhesive Remover Wipes from HealthyKin.com gently remove all adhesives including skin barriers, tapes and hydrocolloid dressings.

ConvaTec AllKare Adhesive Remover Wipes Features:

• Effectively removes adhesive residue from skin that can effect wear time
    • Contains emollients that leave skin feeling soft and supple
    • Alcohol freer
    • Individually packaged

Part numbers: 037436, 037443

I haven't tried the Goo Gone Medical Adhesive Remover.

I have used the ConvaTec AllKare Adhesive Remover Wipes in the past, and they are a good product. Whatever you use, wash the skin well with soap and water after removing the ECC to remove any residual of the adhesive remover solution or alcohol.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    ECC
    (KLD)
    For acronym challenged ECC=External Condom Catheter.

After all is said and done, I am consistent.