Thread: Intense pain before bowel movements post bladder augmentation

Intense pain before bowel movements post bladder augmentation

Hi all,

I am a spina bifida, undergone bladder augmentation with mitrofanoff in October 2018. Post operative ive been having stomatch pain somewhere at the onset of defecation(pooping).

In the month of Jan, i was diagnosed with an anal fissure. Come march visited the doctor again due to pain around the time i have to pass bowels, the doctor checked me via a proctoscope, and the fissure has healed and also there isnt any abnormal growth(cancer) that I need to worry about.

So what could possibly be the reason for the pain? and its more evident when i have a filled bladder. I had done an exhaustive blood test around 10th march and my CBC/Iron/Haemoglobin/sugar/creatine/vit d/b12 all are within range of being normal..

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Sorry you are having pain like this. It is likely due to scar tissue or adhesions resulting from your surgery, although it is also possible that the anal fissure has reoccurred.

What tissue (colon, small intestine, stomach) was used for your augmentation?

How was the fissure treated when you saw the physician you mention?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It's ileum, it was a cream that I used.. which had a nozzle i could insert into my anus.. If it's adhesions will I have an bowel obstruction or so?

As per the doctor my surgery was mainly extraperetonial
    Last edited by ValanM; 03-31-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Suggest you have another exam for reoccurence of your fissure. Current state-of-the-art therapy for this is Botox injection. Topical creams rarely work long term.

Adhesions don't necessarily cause a bowel obstruction, but they can cause pain.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Suggest you have another exam for reoccurence of your fissure. Current state-of-the-art therapy for this is Botox injection. Topical creams rarely work long term.

Adhesions don't necessarily cause a bowel obstruction, but they can cause pain.

(KLD)
    I had an anal fissure. I went to several colorectal surgeons before getting accurate diagnosis... finally got a doctor who eyeballed an accurate diagnosis in 5 minutes. We started with nepidine sp? Ointment, that helped a little but would still get intermittent sweats and high pain.

He recommended Botox, we went with that and has been very effective in healing. I was a bit skeptical because of experiences with other Docs but this was great. Has been about 5 years and relief from pain and intermittent draining has been a God send.

Had it done as an outpatient hospital procedure. Didn’t interfere with activities, sweats and pain gone. Very pleased with the treatment,relief, outcome.

Good luck.