Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number 2 accidents always on bowel days.....WHY???

I just wanted to thanks those for the suggestions to switch to Enemeez, through some trial and error I cut down on my stool softener to 100 mg twice a day and started doing my program in bed again which sucks but I haven't had an accident in one month! I hope I just didn't jinx myself, but so far the switch to Enemeez is working, so far.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

I had similar problems few months ago..I was taking too many laxatives..
    i do my bm every other day around 7 pm.
    in am I take 2 colace &senekot,,noon 8 take one to two 5 mg bisocoydal tabs..then bout 2 pm...
    i kept taking more thinking it will speed up the routine,which I feel is rushed cause help wants out by 9pm. And stress doesn?t help matters. Before routine,1 magic bullet,,if I don?t go in 20 min they can manage to get some fleets in while I?m sitting on my active aide shower/ Commode w/chair.
    so in last month or so,no accidents..I lowered amountlaxatives I take, still 2 colace & senekot at 8 am,, one 5 mg biscoydal tabs at noon then nothing else...
    in am I make a shake, 1/2 banana,1 chobani plain yogurt with a teaspoon unprocessed wheat bran in it, 1/2 cup blueberries( fresh or frozen) 1/2 cup mango juice/ pulp.and a handful of baby spinach, then I blend it up and sip on for next hour. I?m eating more fiber,oatmeal,fruits,veggies,raisins,only wheat or grain bread.etc..I needed more fiber & roughage..on off days I try n get some Raisin Bran in me..I have a good bran muffin or bread recipe if you want.
    i think if you tweak things a lil,you?ll be fine...I know your feeling though, I been doin these routines for 37 yrs.,and in last year I been thinking bout colostomys myself..but with limited finger movement I worry if seal pops off at night or at work( I still work part time). I?d have a mess...and I won?t be able to wear my binder and will need bigger shirts,etc,,I hate change..haha.
    good luck bud.

You can wear an abdominal binder with a colostomy appliance; you need to cut out a hole in the binder over the appliance, and pull the bag through to the outside when dressing.

Do you have a tenodesis? If so, you can most likely pop a two piece appliance back in place in the unlikely occurrence that it pops off. You could also use a one-piece appliance.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You can wear an abdominal binder with a colostomy appliance; you need to cut out a hole in the binder over the appliance, and pull the bag through to the outside when dressing.

Do you have a tenodesis? If so, you can most likely pop a two piece appliance back in place in the unlikely occurrence that it pops off. You could also use a one-piece appliance.

(KLD)

sorry for the late response, but I have I decent amount of teno in my left wrist and I had tendon transfer surgery on that same hand which gives me a decent amount of pinch tension with my thumb and pointer finger, but I barely have any teno in my right, but I do have a slight ability to pinch. That is one of my biggest fears is the appliance popping off, which I hear a lot. Quick question though, are you able to place the appliance back in if you are wearing a jacket, or do you have to pull the jacket up to actually position the appliance back?

Also, I have a friend who irrigates and I read somewhere that you guys, SCI nurses, do not recommend irrigating anymore, how come? My friend seems to be really happy with his daily irritations.