Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Number 2 accidents always on bowel days.....WHY???

  1. #1

    Number 2 accidents always on bowel days.....WHY???

    Can somebody please help me figure this out. I do my bowel program every other day, last year I only had four accidents, but this year so far I have been having one or two every week. Nothing has really changed for me, diet and exercise have all been the same.

    Here is my issue, I only seem to have accidents on the day I do my bowel program. For example, yesterday I had a really good program, a little soft at the end but a really good result. However, just like every other time, like clockwork two hours after my program and shower, I get dressed and everything is fine, and then out of the blue my stomach gets upset and I have an accident that is usually very wet. I have cut down on my stool softeners and avoid any gassy food, dairy products, greasy food, and anything I can think of that would upset my stomach, but nothing seems to help.

    I have pretty much come to the conclusion after reading so many posts about bowel accidents that my best solution for my issues is to get a colostomy, but in the meantime does anyone have any idea why I keep having diarrhea-like accidents only on bowel days?

    Here's a little background info.


    • I am a C4-C5 quad 18 years post
    • I used to take 600 mg of stool softener every day, but in the last few months have dropped that down to 300 mg (my stool usually starts off hard and ends soft)
    • I take 2 senna on nights before my bowel program(recently tried taking only one but same problems)
    • I insert 2 magic bullets (I have been doing this for years, one bullet never seems to do the trick, and I have never had an issue with mucus)
    • wait 20 min. in bed and then transfer to shower chair
    • digital stimulation
    • no antibiotics in a very long time


    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by pukkap View Post
    Can somebody please help me figure this out. I do my bowel program every other day, last year I only had four accidents, but this year so far I have been having one or two every week. Nothing has really changed for me, diet and exercise have all been the same.

    Here is my issue, I only seem to have accidents on the day I do my bowel program. For example, yesterday I had a really good program, a little soft at the end but a really good result. However, just like every other time, like clockwork two hours after my program and shower, I get dressed and everything is fine, and then out of the blue my stomach gets upset and I have an accident that is usually very wet. I have cut down on my stool softeners and avoid any gassy food, dairy products, greasy food, and anything I can think of that would upset my stomach, but nothing seems to help.

    I have pretty much come to the conclusion after reading so many posts about bowel accidents that my best solution for my issues is to get a colostomy, but in the meantime does anyone have any idea why I keep having diarrhea-like accidents only on bowel days?

    Here's a little background info.


    • I am a C4-C5 quad 18 years post
    • I used to take 600 mg of stool softener every day, but in the last few months have dropped that down to 300 mg (my stool usually starts off hard and ends soft)
    • I take 2 senna on nights before my bowel program(recently tried taking only one but same problems)
    • I insert 2 magic bullets (I have been doing this for years, one bullet never seems to do the trick, and I have never had an issue with mucus)
    • wait 20 min. in bed and then transfer to shower chair
    • digital stimulation
    • no antibiotics in a very long time


    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!
    Your program just has too many variables in it. You need to get back to the basics of a bowel program.

    Suggest stopping stool softeners.
    Suggest stopping taking senna
    Suggest stopping two magic bullets, one is probably enough.
    Suggest taking Metamucil once per day, and maybe later twice per day.
    Suggest eating three to four prunes per day.
    Suggest taking a good probiotic daily

    My program seems to be working pretty well (C6/7 complete, 36 years post injury)
    1 generous teaspoon Metamucil twice a day in 6 ounces of water (Breakfast and Dinner)
    3 large dried plums/prunes about 2:00 PM
    Program every other night.
    Digital stim to remove all stool from rectal vault
    Insert 1 Magic Bullet
    Get up in commode chair.
    Allow time for bowel movement.
    Digital stim to produce more peristalsis and bowel movement
    Allow time for more bowel movement.
    Digital stim to clear out remaining stool and remains of Magic Bullet.
    Transfer back into bed, and place a disposable under pad to catch any remaining stool or butt snot/after burn.
    Done.
    Last digital stimulation to remove all of the Magic Bullet is essential
    Just go back to the basics and see how things go.

    Doing you bowel program in the morning, doesn't give enough time for something (accident and/or butt snot/after burn) to happen before you get dressed and go about your day.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-29-2019 at 01:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Are you really having a bowel accident (formed stool), or is it actually mucous ("butt snot", or "afterburn")? The "wet" accident you describe sounds very much like mucous. This mucous is usually not clear, but it has no actual stool in it. It looks like opaque brown jelly, and usually smells really bad, and is very caustic to your skin.

    i suspect it is because of the two Magic Bullet suppositories. It is rarely wise to make more than one change in your bowel care regimen/program in a 7 day period. i would not change your senna or stool softer yet. Cut back to one bisacodyl suppository and see if this does not resolve the problem. If it still occurs, then at the end of your bowel care, rinse the rectal vault out with a small amount of water. You can use a bulb syringe, or an irrigation syringe attached to a straight catheter for this; 30-60ml. of water is usually sufficient.

    Another option would be to stop use of the Magic Bullet entirely, and try Enemeez or Enemeez Plus instead. There are many who report less or no "butt snot" or "afterburn" using this "liquid suppository".

    (KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-29-2019 at 02:55 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    1,057
    I agree with KLD. Probably from the Magic Bullets. My son went thru this and it was driving us crazy. Call theEnemeez people and they will send you samples for free. Enemeez is expensive, but very much worth it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tim C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    That's why it's known as shit I guess.
    I was doing two ducolax tabs per day for 10yrs ....also c4-5....daily BM. Use Enemeeze though. Better than hard suppositories.
    It was ripping my GI tract apart. ,,literally sickened me each night ,reduced to one tab but added softener .
    Still get accidents

  6. #6
    Thank you ginl for your response, I've heard many others suggest probiotics and prunes, so I will certainly add those to my diet.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you really having a bowel accident (formed stool), or is it actually mucous ("butt snot", or "afterburn")? The "wet" accident you describe sounds very much like mucous. This mucous is usually not clear, but it has no actual stool in it. It looks like opaque brown jelly, and usually smells really bad, and is very caustic to your skin.

    i suspect it is because of the two Magic Bullet suppositories. It is rarely wise to make more than one change in your bowel care regimen/program in a 7 day period. i would not change your senna or stool softer yet. Cut back to one bisacodyl suppository and see if this does not resolve the problem. If it still occurs, then at the end of your bowel care, rinse the rectal vault out with a small amount of water. You can use a bulb syringe, or an irrigation syringe attached to a straight catheter for this; 30-60ml. of water is usually sufficient.

    Another option would be to stop use of the Magic Bullet entirely, and try Enemeez or Enemeez Plus instead. There are many who report less or no "butt snot" or "afterburn" using this "liquid suppository".

    (KLD)
    KLD, I think you might be right...when everyone talked about mucus and "but snot" I always assumed it was clear. However, the accident that I have are opaque brown jelly like and smell really bad. So I took your advice to change only one thing at a time and first tried to use only one suppository.

    Well, my last accident was last Tuesday...so on Thursday morning I used two magic bullets and had a decent result. I read your post on Thursday night so on my next BP day Saturday, I only used one suppository and had a small result, but I figured it was just because I really didn't eat too much for the past three days.

    However today, I used only one magic bullet again, but this time had a tiny result, tried to digitally stim anything to come out with no luck, but figured again I really hadn't been eating very much so I figured it was probably from the lack of food. Took a shower and then got into bed to get dressed, thankfully this time I noticed my stomach was starting to become upset, so I turned on my side and my caregiver checked me and sure enough, I had a lot of stool come out and sure enough it jellylike and opaque brown. I'm starting to have a sneaky suspicion it might be the magic bullets.

    Thank you Mombo and KLD for the suggestion on switching to Enemeez, I have a bottle coming tomorrow and cross my fingers these damn accidents will stop.
    Last edited by pukkap; 04-01-2019 at 11:18 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    That's why it's known as shit I guess.
    I was doing two ducolax tabs per day for 10yrs ....also c4-5....daily BM. Use Enemeeze though. Better than hard suppositories.
    It was ripping my GI tract apart. ,,literally sickened me each night ,reduced to one tab but added softener .
    Still get accidents
    the magic bullets ripping were ripping your G.I. tract? Do you mind if I ask how and why?

    And I know we all had accidents once in a while, but did you notice ANY difference between Enemeeze and magic bullets? Are you having the same amount of accidents using Enemeeze?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pukkap View Post
    the magic bullets ripping were ripping your G.I. tract? Do you mind if I ask how and why?

    And I know we all had accidents once in a while, but did you notice ANY difference between Enemeeze and magic bullets? Are you having the same amount of accidents using Enemeeze?
    Just another perspective for you to evaluate. My level of injury is C6/7 complete, post 36+ years. I have used Ducolax suppositories, then Magic Bullets, and I have tried Enemeez a few times. I have never gotten results or felt that Enemeez did any thing for me at all, even after giving them a couple tries at 6 weeks each. That said, I know all of us are different and we need to find our own paths. I don't want to dissuade you from trying Enemeez. You will have to try them out for yourself and evaluate the results. Don't be disappointed if Enemeez doesn't work for you.

    The is a good thread to read: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=Mombo+enemeez

    Good luck with your experimentation.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Just another perspective for you to evaluate. My level of injury is C6/7 complete, post 36+ years. I have used Ducolax suppositories, then Magic Bullets, and I have tried Enemeez a few times. I have never gotten results or felt that Enemeez did any thing for me at all, even after giving them a couple tries at 6 weeks each. That said, I know all of us are different and we need to find our own paths. I don't want to dissuade you from trying Enemeez. You will have to try them out for yourself and evaluate the results. Don't be disappointed if Enemeez doesn't work for you.

    The is a good thread to read: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=Mombo+enemeez

    Good luck with your experimentation.
    Thank you for your input, I certainly will take any advice from anyone 36 years post! I also tried using Enemeez way back in the days, but it got a little too expensive, and to be honest I can't remember the results, but I do remember having issues with them. Thank you so much for Mombo's thread, I will definitely read through as it seems super informative. Many thanks again!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    9
    I suggest to go to Enemeez website, request for samples. Get your bowels used to Enemeez while your bowel is healing from the Biscoydl irritant. Also, Enemeez has a patient assistance program, an online application. All this info can be found on their website.

Similar Threads

  1. Bowel Accidents
    By Bunty25 in forum Care
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM
  2. Bowel accidents...still
    By smiller in forum Care
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 05:59 PM
  3. Bowel accidents - pls help!!
    By Prof. Wheelchair Rider in forum Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
  4. bowel accidents
    By skippy13 in forum Care
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 11:03 AM
  5. bowel accidents!!
    By wewe in forum Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •