Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Faking a High Injury

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    As I read "Funklab's" account, this woman was "one of the physical therapists there (or assistants or something, I don't quite remember her role)" while he was doing his rehab at the Shepard Center. If you read his post carefully, this woman (whatever her role was) taught him and others in classes while they were in rehab. Once again, I have to question how she pulled this off, while working on a spinal cord injury unit. Why didn't the "experts" at Shepard Center have a clue about the subterfuge under which this person was operating. I'm just skeptical about how she could have pulled it off.
    Thanks GJ, you're absolutely right - I missed or forgot that part. It really is astonishing that her subterfuge was not detected at Shepard.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I have seen several people over the years who went to great lengths to fake a SCI for a variety of reasons...one did it to get released from prison (humanitarian parole), and several others to get VA pensions or benefits. They even cathed themselves and did bowel care to perpetuate the illusion that they really had a SCI. Eventually they all screwed up and were found out; and owed a significant amount of money to the VHA in addition to court mandated fines. This has also been seen in workers' comp cases I am familiar with, as well as those undergoing personal injury suits.

I also worked with several people with conversion disorder. They are not faking the paralysis, but usually something is not "right" because their brain doesn't have sufficient knowledge to simulate a real injury. For example, they may not have any sensory loss, or their sensory loss does not match the motor loss, and there is inconsistent or no MRI or other radiologic evidence of any cord or peripheral nerve damage. An SSEP study can be used to rule this out.

One such client developed tetraplegia after witnessing the electrocution death of his power company work partner. The psychiatrist explained to us that he developed this specific conversion disorder because his brain could not handle his inability to intervene in this accident that killed his friend. With intensive psychological counseling he slowly recovered, forgave himself, and returned to his previous non-disabled state.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Tickle their feet. NIH doctors used to do that to me when I'd get paralyzed in their care/testing. I hated it. They would appologize and say they were sorry but they had to do it. Of course with my genetic disease my sensory nerves worked fine, but there was no muscle response to kick back. It was brutal.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Dang we've had several on here. Remember that guy who said he and his twin brother had Parkinsons or something like that. He led us on for quite a while until he went too far and we figured it out.

For the last 20 or so years I and two others have owned and moderate a discussion group for genetic periodic paralysis. We screen applicants heavily and found that many doctors wrote patients off as having a conversion disorder and would not treat them. In the beginning DNA diagnosis was not available to help ensure legitimate membership. Fortunately we have come a long way in the last 20 years, no cure though. Periodic paralysis turns to permanent for many of us.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Interesting stories here.
    Wow, this is a lot more common than I thought. I don't think I'll call him out on it although I've been very close. It is not just his disability that he misrepresents it is his very name and identity too. He will hand you a business card with his name, profession etc. If you Google his credentials they all check out EXCEPT the picture....different guy. He claims to work for a large University but his business card has a run of the mill Gmail address not the University's education domain. He is an older guy. Maybe I can at least clue him in on how easy it is back check anything these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    As it happens, most can. My spouse is trans and the majority of transgender people do not get surgery, or not the full package. As we know better than most, surgery is dangerous. A M2F (male to female) would likely love genuine silicone breasts, but the majority will stop there simply because having one's penis removed is complicated surgery. We SCId people should understand anyone's desire to avoid bladder complications! Some opt for castration because it is a simple operation and ends the production of most male hormones. My own spouse would not seriously consider surgery for the same reason I would not seek elective surgery. KEEP YOUR KNIVES OFF MY BODY! All that simply to explain that yes, s/he can take off her boobs to shower.

We have been together a long time so I get to laugh myself silly over this, which s/he does not find amusing.

Some trans people or their allies consider people like my spouse a 'pretender' or a cross-dresser. Since she works diligently to promote human rights for all LGBTQ folk, helps with fund-raisers and such, I would not accuse her of misrepresenting herself, but neither will I argue with anyone who does.

What matters is that people do not deceive others.
    My oldest son is trans and hasn't done anything surgical either, though he's saving for top surgery now.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Dang we've had several on here. Remember that guy who said he and his twin brother had Parkinsons or something like that. He led us on for quite a while until he went too far and we figured it out.
    As I remember, it was ALS.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

There was a Mark Pals on here, seemed like his whole family was ailing from something or other, all fake and got caught.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Do you think it possible this woman lies about having worked at Shepherd? Easy enough to check, I suppose. In case she is faking she should be quietly investigated and exposed, if true. It would mean she is deceiving every client she works with.
    Maybe I didn?t clarify. It was a class while I was in inpatient rehab at Shepherd.