Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First timer using marijuana

First timer using marijuana

Okay, not exactly the first time, (29 years ago I took a couple hits while drunk but I don't remember much).
    Anyhow, a friend of mine from a marijuana friendly state is sending me a gift of some edibles.

What I am wondering is will/can it effect my medications of Baclofen and Elavil?
    Is there anything else that I need to consider medically speaking before I partake in an evening of getting fucked up?

marijuana is a pretty benign drug, it's not gonna make you stop breathing or anything like that, but edibles are dangerous stuff.

Obviously I would never use or condone using a substance that is illegal where I currently live, but "people I've known" have had pretty intense experiences (usually not in a good way) with edibles.

After eating marijuana it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours to kick in fully... so you've got no idea how high you're going to be until hours later. Despite knowing this many, many people figure they "might as well" eat some more after forty five minutes or so and end up getting way, way too high. I've heard from people that after SCI the experience of eating marijuana is even more delayed... maybe because of delayed GI transit? (Just guesstimating here).

Baclofen and amitriptyline (Elavil) are both a little sedating, so is marijuana, so you might get more sleepy than usual. Some people on here have reported that spasms get better, but I've heard even more people say they get way worse, so that might go either way for you.

My suggestion would be to try a small, tiny amount at first. Just do like 1/2 of the minimum recommended dose and no matter what don't take any extra that first day... just plan on not getting high. Then if you do okay increase the dose slowly (like next day take a little more, but again never take more than you preplanned or you risk head-spinning, debilitating, unpleasant highness for 12 hours or more).

Not sure what kind of edibles you have or how it can be divided, but for example if you have brownies, say and you take 1/2 a brownie and barely get high, a whole one might really fuck you up. It's so hard to judge the strength of edibles because you use such rough increments to adjust the dose. To me it seems kind of like drinking alcohol, but you have to decide ahead of time to drink 3 beers or six beers and either way your actual dose might be off by 2 or 3 beers because you can't measure very accurately AND you have to drink all those beers 30 minutes to 3 hours before you feel ANY effect, so you might end up making yourself sick.

Good luck with your adventure, Scott.

What Funklab said. I'll add one more thing. It is a body high, meaning it will reduce pain and spasms. But if you take too much it can be dissociative, meaning you may not be able to move. You may want to take it at bedtime and transfer to the bed as soon as you feel it kicking in (1 hour?) so you won't have to transfer later. I prefer it at bedtime regardless. Keep a friend in your presence the first time in case of an adverse reaction. Be prepared for some vivid dreams.

I've been doing bed rest for nearly 5 years, so that's taken care of. I don't want adverse reactions but I do want a vacation from my life, even if for a couple hours.

Edibles are unpredictable. I recommend you eat only 1/4 of the recommended amount, to start. I ate half a marijuana candy (the size of a Reese's peanut butter cup) awhile back and had a nightmarish experience with 8 hours of racing heartbeat, high blood pressure and sweating. Start slow, looking for the lowest effective dose. My spasticity is much lessened since I started taking CBD oil, and it doesn't take much.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I've been doing bed rest for nearly 5 years, so that's taken care of. I don't want adverse reactions but I do want a vacation from my life, even if for a couple hours.
    The only adverse reaction I am aware of is paranoia and stupid things people do because of it. But don't take too much and you shouldn't have that problem.

On the other hand, you need a large amount to experience the dissociative part, which may be the "vacation" you are longing.

I have tried Edibles twice. I ate half of a gummy bear and didn't feel much so I decided to eat a whole one a few hours later. About one hour later when I asked my wife how did we get into Target we decided that is it for Edibles.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 03-27-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Forget the edibles. Either take a hit or two of good Cannnibis or just a drop of CBD oil. I'm not a fan of edibles because of the reasons others have stated. I have a friend who makes medical CBD syringes. I'll use just a drop on the tongue and I'm good. I don't take any if I plan on driving. If I want to take a "vacation", I use a "two hit" bubbler of either Sativa or Indica depending if I want to address pain or just want to feel a bit mellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Forget the edibles. Either take a hit or two of good Cannnibis or just a drop of CBD oil. I'm not a fan of edibles because of the reasons others have stated. I have a friend who makes medical CBD syringes. I'll use just a drop on the tongue and I'm good. I don't take any if I plan on driving. If I want to take a "vacation", I use a "two hit" bubbler of either Sativa or Indica depending if I want to address pain or just want to feel a bit mellow.
    I thought CBD is therapeutic without the high.

Edibles are fine if you know how much to eat. Problem is everyone makes them differently so you don't know. That's why I make my own.

A third alternative is to buy the butter and take a drop at a time like you use CBD. Or you can add a drop of it to plain butter used to butter your toast. Many alternatives. The trick is control the dose.
    Last edited by August West; 03-27-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Not sure what he makes then August. I thought it was CBD, will have to check out. It's more of a body stone than head stone.