Thread: Bicycle repair stand for working on chair?

Bicycle repair stand for working on chair?

Does anyone know about using a bicycle repair stand to hold your chair while you work on it? It's so bloody hard for me to do maintenance and repairs on my chair while sitting on the floor. I am thinking a stand like this might be a solution. What do you think?

I just flip it over and sit on the couch. I also have an old chair I use when I work on the newer one.

I have three different types of bike repair stands. I've never used them for chair work (or bike work since being injured as I've no lower back to support me when I lean over to wrench). That said, you should be able to clamp the bar behind the backrest on most chairs...
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I have found it easiest to just keep an old W/chair and transfer into that so I am still mobile while working on the primary chair.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of using my old chair while I work on my current one but it's in storage and I don't have the room to keep it built inside my place -too much stuff already.

I've been thinking that using a bicycle repair stand would be a good idea but if no one else is doing it maybe it's not. A few days ago I had to replace some rusted bearings on my Frog Legs caster and it was a nightmare. My problem was moving and controlling the chair, it's so hard to hold or move once the wheels are off, every angle seems to want to settle the chair in some odd way. I thought if I had it clamped in a repair stand I could take off anything I needed to work on and rotate the chair easily. This last repair really wrecked me. It was all the reaching and lifting and fighting the chair. I feel like I can do a lot if I can reach things but everyday that's the fight, just getting to things. I don't have an SCI so I can stand or sit upright for a bit while I work, at least that's what I'm hoping for. What I really want is to never repeat this recent experience.
    Last edited by grommet; 03-25-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Here's what I came up with

I took three photos, I hope they are viewable. I figured out how to use a Rockwell stand I already had. I used a ratcheting tie-down to keep the chair on top. The head on the stand will rotate 360 so that should help a lot. It will also raise it up but it's already too high. Anyhow, this might solve my problem, not cost me any more money and mean no extra stuff to bring home.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by grommet; 03-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.

nice but you need a table and another chair or stool handy. We have 2 different designs of bike stands in the house and neither is remotely suitable for mounting a wheelchair. When I work on my chair I transfer to a normal person chair next to the wheelchair, place a cardboard box of the correct dimensions under the axle, then remove a wheel and do what needs to b done. I normally work next to the kitchen table where I've assembled the tools I need. Go through the same transfers to go get the tools I forgot. To clean the castors I turn the chair over to lay on its back, presenting the castors to where I sit. Better is when I've bothered to bring my old chair in from the garage then sit in it as I work. The addition of mobility allows me to take pee breaks!

For replacing bearings I take the wheel or castor over to my sewing table where the light is good.

Those are some good ideas I need to think about. I don't know the perfect solution, working towards something that just makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    nice but you need a table and another chair or stool handy. We have 2 different designs of bike stands in the house and neither is remotely suitable for mounting a wheelchair. When I work on my chair I transfer to a normal person chair next to the wheelchair, place a cardboard box of the correct dimensions under the axle, then remove a wheel and do what needs to b done. I normally work next to the kitchen table where I've assembled the tools I need. Go through the same transfers to go get the tools I forgot. To clean the castors I turn the chair over to lay on its back, presenting the castors to where I sit. Better is when I've bothered to bring my old chair in from the garage then sit in it as I work. The addition of mobility allows me to take pee breaks!

For replacing bearings I take the wheel or castor over to my sewing table where the light is good.